Its that time of year again folks...

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Its that time of year again folks...

Post by SteveH »

Morning all.

(31st October)

As I am sure you are all well aware, the mothing season is coming to a close once more as catches become less and less and leaf miners get more and more tricky due to their age etc;.

Consequently, Steve HH and I are calling for your 2018 records as and when you are done for the year. The sooner we can start processing the data the sooner we can get the report started and the sooner it gets published (sometime in the new year). Please don't wait until 2019 if you have finished for the year. If you are submitting by Mapmate Sync file then please forward to Steve HH as he has that programme and I don't but if you are a spreadsheet person then we're perfectly happy to receive your macro and micro moth information in one spreadsheet, but can you please send to BOTH of us instead of just to Steve HH this year please. This is hoped to enable us to independently work on an individuals' submission at the same time rather than me waiting for Steve HH to complete his part before sending the remainder on to me.

We're equally certain that you all appreciate no report would be as appealing without a liberal sprinkling of your excellent photographs so this is also a call to all the photographers out there to submit their snaps - all those used in the report will of course be fully credited. At this point we also assume that all photos posted on the forum are able to be used within the report :-)

Many thanks in advance, we look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Steve W Holmes & Steve H Hind
VC58 County macro & micro moth Recorders

steve_marion@btinternet.com
stevehind32@btinternet.com
PaulHopkins

Re: Its that time of year again folks...

Post by PaulHopkins »

SteveH wrote: If you are submitting by Mapmate Sync file then please forward to Steve HH
I upload sync files to Glenn Rostron, the VC58 "hub" - I take it it's OK to keep doing this and Steve HH will download updates from Glenn?

Cheers
Paul
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Paul,

yes, that's fine - Steve can sync with Glenn.

Cheers,
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

I don’t want to complicate things for you both, but although I like to trap for the full year, and still hope to get the trap out if the weather and temperatures are reasonable, as it was last night for instance, there are only a handful of additional species that I could still hope to attract. However, it is possible that I might only get one or two (Winter Moth and Mottled Umber I’m hoping for), or even none.

I might get a few more individuals of previously recorded species, but will this hinder your progress.

I record on Mapmate, as you know, but have lost the ability to sync files, so I now send my records as a Mapmate Custom Query Spreadsheet. I can run one of these off at any time.

With this in mind, would it be beneficial to send what I already have prepared to you both, so that you can at least start on the process of vetting and sorting, and later send on the few additions, if any, or would you prefer the full completed set at the end of the year.

Mel
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi Mel,

no, your records would be fine in the new year sir - as early as possible though if you can :-)

Cheers,
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

We're up and running folks - the first 2018 records have been received and some are already in the County Database! Great stuff!

Thanks for being so prompt!

We've also had the first batch of excellent photos (from Greg) - hopefully the first of many!

Steve H & Steve HH