Spring Usher

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Spring Usher

Post by melbellingham »

Recent attempts to record moths have been restricted, due to the weather mainly, but I have had a couple of ‘reasonable’ nights.

Friday (21/12/2018) for the Winter GMS, I recorded Dark Chestnut and 2 Light Brown Apple Moths.

Last night (25/12/2018) with only a slight breeze and a temperature of 8.7C I put the trap out for a few hours.

Singles of Ypsolopha ustella and Spring Usher Agriopis leucophaearia (FFY) were recorded, attracted to MV lamp, so instead of putting the trap away at bedtime, I replaced the MV with a 20W actinic lamp, and left it overnight. A single Mottled Umber Erannis defoliaria was added to the total.

The Spring Usher is the darkest individual I have seen or recorded.
Spring Usher
Spring Usher
Ypsolopha ustella
Ypsolopha ustella
Mel.
GrahamJones

Re: Spring Usher

Post by GrahamJones »

Good to see you've had Spring Usher Mel. It's on my hit list for BMW over this mild spell.

Graham
melbellingham

Re: Spring Usher

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Graham,

If it is not on the BMW list, then I can only imagine it is because nobody has trapped there at the right time of year.

There could be many early season and late season moths still to be added to the reserve list.

Mel.