Another Senior Moment

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Another Senior Moment

Post by melbellingham »

Happy New Year to All.

I recorded my first moths of the year last night (06/01/2019), after a blank last Friday for the Winter GMS.

During my visits to the trap during the evening I found 2 Spring Usher Agriopis leucophaearia on the wall, 1 Chestnut Conistra vaccinii in the trap and 1 Ypsolopha ustella on the trap (which I lost while trying to pot up).

It was still mild on my last visit to check for moths, so was hopeful that one or two more might be found this morning. When I looked out at 7.30am, I could see that the trap was not on. Straight down to the trap, where I could feel that the lamp was cold and I could also see that there were no hoped for moths on the wall. I later found there were no moths in the trap either.

During the summer I run my trap on a timer, but during the winter, because it is usually dark when switching the trap on and off, I switch it manually, but the timer is usually still in place. Last night I mistakenly switched the timer to ‘auto on’, which is bad enough, but on checking I also found that the timer was still set to British Summer Time.

Isn’t mothing stressful. Only six days and three species in to the current year, and I’m feeling stressed out already.

Mel.
SteveH

Re: Another Senior Moment

Post by SteveH »

Made me laugh Mel so thanks for sharing :-)

One thing whilst I'm here, you are doing a chat to LCES on The Burren in April I understand - was just thinking how long that might be. Reason I ask is that if its only 20-30 minutes or less, then I'll suggest that I do my "Year in the life of a VC58 moth recorder" talk on the same night.

I have been asked to do a chat on the creation of the e-Atlas but that's not going to happen - not enough content to last more than five minutes!

Cheers,
Steve
melbellingham

Re: Another Senior Moment

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the slow reply, only just checking for new posts.

I've now been asked if I could present my Ireland chat tonight, but failing that I have been offered the possibility of the February or March meeting.

Whenever it happens, I guess it would take no more than 30 mins. Depends on questions and comments.

Mel.