10KM SQUARES

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

10KM SQUARES

Post by Greg »

Morning All

I seem to remember asking this question before sometime, without success.
Is there a way of identifying which 10km sq I am in at any given grid ref point within VC58 or within any VC, even better ?
Either an overlay showing the boundaries of all squares on an OS map, or a map for each individual square.
While travelling around with my traps it would be good to know which VC area I'm in and even better if I can identify which 10km sq after finding my Grid Ref position. I do not own an Iphone so I rely on the Grid finder map for my reference.

Greg
melbellingham

Re: 10KM SQUARES

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

I'm not sure whether I understand your question correctly, but if I have it right you just want to know which 10k square you are in, and can you get that from a known grid reference.

If that is correct, it is easy.

You record moths in your garden, grid ref SJ65057101. Therefore the 10k square you are in is SJ67.

I record moths at SJ381751, so I am in SJ37.

For six figure grid refs, read digit 1 and 4, for 8 figure refs read digit 1 and 5 and for 10 figure refs read digit 1 and 6.

It will be the same for wherever you are.

When travelling around there is a website for identifying which VC you are in, taken from a known grid reference. Try the following link:

http://herbariaunited.org/gridrefVC/?gr ... -reference

Let me know if I have misunderstood and confused you.

Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

Thanks for your response. I must admit I didn't realise that taking the two digits that you pointed out would give me the 10km square ref, so thanks for that.
Maybe I didn't explain what I was hoping to find sufficiently. I'm sure I have seen somewhere a Grid Finder map
in either satellite or hybrid form with the boundaries of each VC marked which could then be zoomed in to pick out topographical features for any area of the UK moving from one VC to another. Also with each individual VC then picked out to include boundaries of each 10km square within. Which I would find helpful when searching for new potential sites to trap in. I would then know exactly which VC and 10km sq I was in once I had picked a site. The grid ref would then be entered last.
I intend to do a lot more travelling around with my traps in the future, recording as I go, so I feel these features would be an advantage.
If you, or anyone else knows of any such Maps I would be grateful.

Thanks
Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

I don't know the answer you are looking for, but if you just search 'vice county boundaries' you will get access to many sites that might have the answer.

Enough to keep you busy for the rest of the winter, but the Ordnance Survey site might be a good starting point.

Mel.
RachelMC

Post by RachelMC »

Not sure if this helps your specific question, but the NBN has this page with links to some tools:

https://nbn.org.uk/tools-and-resources/ ... oundaries/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thank you Rachel,

That was very helpful. It gives me plenty to work on.

Regards
Greg