Who Ate My Underwing?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
JulianB

Who Ate My Underwing?

Post by JulianB »

Hi all,

Last September I found a dead Copper Underwing agg. lying dead on the floor of the old methodist chapel next door. I potted it with the intention of brushing up my ID skills between Svensson's and the more common species, and subsequently forgot all about it.

A week ago the pot resurfaced, and to my surprise my pristine (albeit dead) underwing had been reduced to near rubble. Turning the pot around, the culprit was clearly visible. I realised I knew little about which arm of Nature recycles dead moths - my guess is a fly had already laid an egg on the moth before I picked it up. Can anyone ID the grub? Worth rearing to see what hatches?

Thanks, Julian
Attachments
Copper Underwing B.jpg
Copper Underwing A.jpg
stevehind

Re: Who Ate My Underwing?

Post by stevehind »

Hi Julian

It could also be a micro-moth. Even if it's just the Brown House-moth Hofmannophila pseudospretella, it would be interesting to see what emerges.

Regards
Steve
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

Thanks Steve.

We've tried to feed the larva up, with varying degrees or success, and moved him to a bed of compost in case he wanted to pupate. There were actually two larvae present initially, but only one is still with us (not sure what happened to the second).

The remaining larva hasn't pupated yet, but had been immobile on the side of the jar just under the surface of the compost for a while. I took him out today to take some close-ups. The photos clearly show 3 pairs of thoracic legs and four pairs of prolegs, so I assume we're still good for a moth larva.

Is it possible to narrow down the list of candidates for our fine young cannibal? Do you think he's of a size to pupate now?

Cheers, Julian
Attachments
Larva 1.jpg
Larva 2.jpg
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

There's a link here that includes a comparison between brown house moth and white-shouldered house moth larvae.

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk/moths%20p4b.html

Looks right for a white-shouldered?

Julian
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Julian

It does resemble the photo of White-shouldered House-moth larva and hopefully it should pupate soon. Not a species I've ever bred.

Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Fascinating stuff and nice photos too.

Cheers,
Steve