Mompha sturnipenella ?? and another micro

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
rogerwilkinson

Mompha sturnipenella ?? and another micro

Post by rogerwilkinson »

On 18th and 19th March on consecutive visits to Woolston Eyes Nature Reserve I noticed lots of small moth active around the windows of the John Morgan Hide . I thought these to be a Mompha species and probably subbistrigella which I have recorded in my garden. On looking at these in more detail I am now inclined to think these could be sturnipennella and would appreciate comments on these . Whist on line I would also like to post a photo of another micro moth which I am unsure of as to its identity. Thank you.
Mompha sp ? 19 March 2019 Woolston Eyes
Mompha sp ? 19 March 2019 Woolston Eyes
Mompha sp? 19 March 2019 Woolston Eyes
Mompha sp? 19 March 2019 Woolston Eyes
Micromoth to ID please 20 March 2019 Upton-by-Chester
Micromoth to ID please 20 March 2019 Upton-by-Chester
stevehind

Re: Mompha sturnipenella ?? and another micro

Post by stevehind »

Hi Roger

The Mompha is certainly either subbistrigella or sturnipennella but I would need to see a specimen, as I am unfamiliar with the latter.

The other micro, just on time of year, could it be Ypsolopha ustella ????

Regards
Steve
rogerwilkinson

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Hi Steve . Much Appreciated thank you. Ypsolopha ustella is a new moth for me . Regarding the Mompha the reason I inclined to sturnipennella was the moths matched the illustration of sturnipennella in Sterling & Parsons Field Guide and photos I found on the internet in having a distinct dark shoulder streak and another dark streak below that along the wing. The text indicates that white costal streaks near the apex are characteristic of sturnipennella and I have found and attach below a photo showing these.
White streaks at apex of costa
White streaks at apex of costa
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Yes it does look more like Mompha sturnipennella. The white costal streaks are more obvious on this photo.
Ypsolopha ustella was just a guess, please don't submit the record unless 100% certain.
Regards
Steve