Phyllonorycter lantanella

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Phyllonorycter lantanella

Post by melbellingham »

Having been informed recently by SteveHH that leaf mines of 15.051 Phyllonorycter lantanella had been found in West Kirby, on the evergreen shrub Viburnum tinus, and asked to look out for the shrub and any mines, it appears from only 2 local walks recently, that the shrub is quite common, and that the mines are to be found, in low numbers.

After a visit to a local plant nursery on the first of my walks, to look for the shrub, I realized that I had seen the shrub in the village where I was, although I did not know what it was called.

I checked the shrubs in the nursery, but all had near perfect leaves with no blemishes, suggesting to me that they had been treated with insecticide to keep the shrubs as attractive as possible to any potential buyer.

Several of the shrubs were on the village green, and also planted along the fence line of the village school. No mines were found on the green, but I did find one at the school. Fortunately it coincided with school holidays.
Phyllonorycter lantanella - Capenhurst SJ3673
Phyllonorycter lantanella - Capenhurst SJ3673
Phyllonorycter lantanella 1b - Capenhurst.jpg
The following day, on another walk, I found a few more shrubs along a roadside hedge in Great Sutton. A couple of mines were found. One might be tenanted, but also an old vacated mine.
Phyllonorycter lantanella - Great Sutton SJ3873
Phyllonorycter lantanella - Great Sutton SJ3873
Phyllonorycter lantanella 3a - Great Sutton - SJ3873 - Tetrad SJ37W - 12 04 2119.jpg
A couple of 2mm pupa were also found on one of the leaves, which I think may be of aphids, as there were several aphids on the leaf.

Mel.
stevehind

Re: Phyllonorycter lantanella

Post by stevehind »

You are doing better than me Mel. I've checked at least a dozen bushes in Hazel Grove and Poynton and only found mines on the one bush so far.

Regards
Steve