Weird goings on....

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Weird goings on....

Post by SteveH »

Morning folks,

first night back after a couple of weeks on Crete (where Rush Veneers by the million by the way) so was really looking forward to trapping. It had been a hot day by all accounts and when I put the trap on it was actually quite warm but clearly that didn't continue for the rest of the evening!

This morning I went out to check the contents and oh dear me; NO macros in the trap and just six micros - something which I couldn't recall happening before. On cold nights its invariably the micros that fail to turn up; surprise number one! Once all the egg boxes were dealt with there was just one moth perched up on the inside of the trap which, on face value and at a distance I took to be a mompha but on potting it up was pleased to see it was nothing of the kind; surprise two! I'd absolutely no clue what it was other than being one of those horrid micros that have a small triangular looking patch of white or cream half way down the body that only Steve Hind can identify and which I ordinarily throw over my shoulder!

HOWEVER, I had a light bulb moment and from the depths of wherever dragged back to memory a certain Acrolepiopsis assectella from years gone by which it bore a resemblance to - only it wasn't one! Clicked on 'next species' and I'm stunned to see it looking back at me on my screen - or at least I think it is... I believe its Acrolepiopsis betulella (surprise definately number three if it is!) but I'd be happy to hear what others think.

Out of interest the other moths in the trap were: two 20-plumes and singles of LBAM, Tachystola acroxantha and White-shoulder Moth.
Acrolepiopsis betulella? Elton: 19th April 2019
Acrolepiopsis betulella? Elton: 19th April 2019
Cheers,
Steve
melbellingham

Re: Weird goings on....

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

It was pretty much the same here also.

The overnight low was 8.2C (down from 9.5C the previous night [17/4/19]), but when I was inspecting the trap, the air felt cold and damp.

I recorded 2 macro’s, 1 Hebrew Character and 1 Muslin Moth which was NFY and always pleasing to record as it doesn’t appear most years.

Micro’s were slightly more numerous with 4 Many-plumed Moths (quite numerous this year) plus Dyseriocrania subpurpurella, 2 Tachystola acroxantha, Eudonia angustea and Bee Moth all NFY.

Mel.
SteveH

Re: Weird goings on....

Post by SteveH »

Intersting Mel,

I found another hexadactyla in the house last night too!

Cheers,
Steve