Chocolate-tip etc

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
CliveJ

Chocolate-tip etc

Post by CliveJ »

Little to report of late. The allotment has been disappointing moth-wise to date, although i have invested in a lure for Currant Clearwing, so come June I shall be wafting my pheromones across the colony.

At home in Christleton a forecast of rain almost deterred me from trapping last night, but I'm glad I did. Along with a couple of pugs there were three Chocolate-tips and a Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet.
Chocolate-tip
Chocolate-tip
Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet
Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet
Greg

Re: Chocolate-tip etc

Post by Greg »

Hi Clive,

Chocolate Tip, nice photo.
I used to get them in the garden every year but not had one now for three.

Greg
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Thanks Greg - i had one Chocolate-tip in 2016, one in 2017 and none last year, so three in one morning was outstanding for me.
Clive
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Clive,

I didn't read your original post properly, you actually caught three.
That's brilliant :o

Regards
Greg
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Yes, three made it a bit of a red-letter day for me.
The one I photographed was still there six hours later, in a slightly different 'free-hanging' pose. Perhaps this is closer to its natural resting position, although where it would spend its daylight hours and how its camouflage scheme might work I certainly don't know.
Chocolate-tip resting pose
Chocolate-tip resting pose
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

...same story here in Elton. Recorded then in 2011 then 2013, 2014 and 2015 but none since. Most were in August rather than May.

Cheers,
Steve
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Just one more thought on this - none of my three Choc-tips were actually in the trap - one found on one of the vanes at about midnight and potted then, the other two found in the morning, one inside the carrier bag which I use to protect the transformer and extension lead connection from rain and the other on a nearby wall.
Clive