Hoping this is a moth!

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
swampthing

Hoping this is a moth!

Post by swampthing »

Please can somebody confirm from these (not very good) photos that this is a moth firstly, and then perhaps which one. I've looked at all the longhorn species in books and online and nothing is quite right for any of them. Photos taken this afternoon nr Hyde, Greater Manchester.

Cheers,

Andy
Attachments
IMG_4599 (1024x746).jpg
IMG_4598 (1024x940).jpg
Greg

Re: Hoping this is a moth!

Post by Greg »

Hi Andy

Yes, one of the longhorn micros, Nermatopogon swammerdamella possibly. Steve Hind would have a better idea.

Regards
Greg
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I would agree with Greg, these will be Nematopogon swammerdamella. It flies earlier than the other common species Nematopogon schwarziellus. The best way to separate them is on size, the wing length of the former is 10mm compared to a wing length of 8mm for the latter.
Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

I had Nematopogon schwarziellus on 23rd April... presumably one more to add to the list of 'early birds' this year.

Cheers,
Steve
swampthing

Post by swampthing »

I know 2mm isn't much, but it did appear to be 'large', so I'm happy with N. swammerdamella. Whatever, I've never stopped to look at these sorts before, but now I have the micros book... :shock:

As usual, thanks for the assistance. I will record this on iRecord as the above species (likely).

Andy