Trap numbers on the up

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Trap numbers on the up

Post by stevehind »

The past couple of nights have seen a noticeable increase in both numbers of species and individuals in the garden trap.
240519.JPG
In addition to those identified there were also 18 probable Coleophora caespititiella and singles of probable Elachista canapennella, Parornix anglicella and Agonopterix heracliana/ciliella.

Trapping is normally poor in May and daytime fieldwork can often produce more species. Yesterday, 24/5/2019, at Alderley Edge produced the following:
Alderley Edge  - 24th May 2019
Alderley Edge - 24th May 2019
This list excludes a number of unidentified larvae, some of which I hope to rear through as well as a few adults which eluded me and a Dichrorampha species on the Ox-eye daisies which needs to be determined, of which there were at least 40 individuals.
Elachista argentella - Alderley Edge
Elachista argentella - Alderley Edge
Grapholita lunulana - Alderley Edge
Grapholita lunulana - Alderley Edge
Regards
Steve
SteveH

Re: Trap numbers on the up

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

given that I am without a working trap at the moment I'm restricted to finding stuff in the field too and to be honest what Steve HH finds I always find bewildering - and inspiring.

I certainly don't get the variety on my local patch but over recent days have managed: Nematopogon schwarziellus, Nematopogon swammerdamella, Ypsolopha dentella, Cinnabar, Burnet Companion, Small Yellow Underwing, Pyrausta aurata, Dun-bar and a few more common species and have been trying for Acrocercops brogniardiella for the last week or so without success to date. Best of all its great fun!
Cinnabar Moth
Cinnabar Moth
Burnet Companion
Burnet Companion
Cheers,
Steve