Carnation Tortrix or not ?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
wirralbirder

Carnation Tortrix or not ?

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi All
Spreadsheet: Working on a large backlog of old photos,i came across this taken in my garden on Feb 07th 2008.I think it may be Carnation Tortrix (Cacoecimorpha pronubana ). Forewing lengthI and flight period fit. If so a new one for the garden or more correctly an old new one for the garden.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers Harry
Attachments
Carnation Tortrix Garden Feb 07th 2008 DSCF0627ed .jpg
stevehind

Re: Carnation Tortrix or not ?

Post by stevehind »

Hi Harry
I would have put that down as Light Brown Apple Moth Epiphyas postvittana but Carnation Tortrix Cacoecimorpha pronubana is not a species I ever see, so I'll leave this to those who do.
However this is a good example of the limitations of photos, as the orange underwing of Carnation Tortrix Cacoecimorpha pronubana would have been conclusive.
Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Harry,

I have only ever seen 1 moth that I thought was Carnation Tortrix, so I am not the leading expert, but for what it’s worth……..

The image below was taken in Dorset in Sept. 2011, and shows what I believe to be a female. It was 6 feet away over a fence resting on bramble, hence the small image.

The wing outline has more of a gentle curving shape than the moth shown in your image.

My image has been darkened slightly with ‘photoshop’, mainly to enhance the ‘dark’ markings on the wings, which do correspond with the illustrations I have seen of the species in question.
Carnation Tortrix - Winspit - Dorset
Carnation Tortrix - Winspit - Dorset
Mel.
wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Thanks Steve & Mel
My initial thoughts were LBAM but needed to check.
Cheers Harry
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

LBAM for me Harry.

Cheers,
Steve