Micros at Dibbinsdale LNR

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
PaulHopkins

Micros at Dibbinsdale LNR

Post by PaulHopkins »

My local patch at Dibbinsdale LNR, Bromborough, was teeming with micro moths when I went for a stroll this afternoon.

Every buttercup seemed to have several minuscule Glyphipterix simpliciella or Micropterix calthella nectaring/chomping pollen respectively. (They seem to stick with their own kind). I always hope to find another of the Micropterix species, but no joy so far. Not the easiest creatures to snap with an iPhone...
Glyphipterix simpliciella
Glyphipterix simpliciella
Micropterix calthella
Micropterix calthella
Or indeed film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSYSjbWBGh4

I often wonder how to record these. I must have laid eyes on at least 1,000 of each species - so should I record them as quantity 1,000, or just 1 with a note saying "abundant"?

I thought this was probably a Bactra lancealana, but I don't think it's possible to ID it definitively from this pic:
Bactra sp?
Bactra sp?
I followed one of what I think is Epiblema cirsiana/scutulana for ages, without it settling long enough for a snap, until it happened across another one and began copulating with it - then it calmed down! I imagine it was a male which found a "calling" female. I see there's an aggregate for these two species in MapMate, is it OK to record as this?
Epiblema cirsiana/scutulana
Epiblema cirsiana/scutulana
Cheers
Paul
stevehind

Re: Micros at Dibbinsdale LNR

Post by stevehind »

Hi Paul

Good to meet up on Wednesday.

If you key in the quantity as 1000!e then MapMate will record a quantity of 1000 and add Quantity estimated in the comments field.

It's always worth trying to note the nearby plants when in the field, as moths can often be found amongst their foodplants, so if your Bactra lanceolana was amongst rushes then that will be a good record and your Epiblema cirsiana/scutulana looks OK for Epiblema cirsiana, especially if they were near their foodplant, Black Knapweed. I frequently find the adults sat on leaves of their foodplant. The males of Epiblema scutulana are larger and brighter and the species breeds on Marsh/Spear Thistles, so again noting the foodplant helps with the ID. If you do note the foodplants when you find the moth, then do mention this in the comments field, especially when there are similar species which use different foodplants.

As Steve H mentioned on Wednesday, first find the foodplant, then you can often find the moth.

Regards
Steve
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Thanks Steve. I will revisit the site and search for these plants before adding these records.

It seems that botany is just as important as lepidopterology when it comes to identifying moths. This is why I've never got into leaf miners properly, because I just have no confidence when it comes to recognising plants! Must do better.

Cheers
Paul
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

haha - welcome to my world Paul - my brain just will not allow me to retain plant or even tree names so every year is like I'm starting out afresh with leaf miners.

I actually identify some trees these days by what galls they have on them!

Steve HH sometimes mentions that its a good idea to go out looking for X, Y or Z as they are common on plants A, B and C - I've no clue what A, B or C look like, so just let it wash over me :-)

Cheers and happy hunting.

Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

... meant to ask Paul - do you trap at Dibbinsdale often?

Cheers,
Steve
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

SteveH wrote:... meant to ask Paul - do you trap at Dibbinsdale often?
I've never trapped in Dibbinsdale LNR itself, I just go for lots of walks there - it's right at the bottom of my garden!
My House
My House
I've been meaning to ask the rangers if I can trap the reserve - I bet right down by the wetland areas there would be lots of good stuff.

Cheers
Paul