Depressaria daucella

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Depressaria daucella

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

I know that some folks go to Burton Mere RSPB reserve to look for the larvae of Depressaria daucella and some come away having seen one or two (personally I failed completely this year so far). However, today I was at Red Rocks Marsh and they are all over the place - though generally in the northern half of the reserve. I'd guesstimate at there being at least 150-200 larvae at all stages of their growth, on numerous Water-droplet plants. (a prime example of me identifying the plant from whats on it rather than the other way around)!

Cheers,
Steve
SteveH

Re: Depressaria daucella

Post by SteveH »

I went back to Red Rocks Marsh again today (4th June) and in different areas of the reserve found at least 200 more larvae of Depressaria daucella - they were on every suitable plant!

Also managed singles of Cinnabar and Yellow Shell but nothing else - apart from getting soaked to the skin!

Cheers,
Steve
rogerwilkinson

Post by rogerwilkinson »

There are masses of Hemlock Water Dropwort at Burton Mere. I haven't noticed any larvae on them. Will lokk more carefully on my next visit - though perhaps better off trying at Red Rocks
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Rog,

Have a look alongside the boardwalk around the area of the small ponds.
Best on the righthand side. Lots of larval spinnings to be seen.

Mel.
rogerwilkinson

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Thanks Mel