Currant Clearwing success

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
CliveJ

Currant Clearwing success

Post by CliveJ »

SPREADSHEET
It’s great when plans work out! When we first took on an allotment in January I saw three neglected fruit bushes – a whitecurrant, a blackcurrant and a gooseberry – and immediately thought of Currant Clearwing, having never previously seen this or indeed any other clearwing species. I bought a pheromone lure and trap from Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies https://www.angleps.com/ and today was the first time I’ve used it. Results exceeded my expectations, with several males visible within a couple of minutes. Eventually five entered the trap, with at least three more perching on nearby leaves.

I've caught what seemed like a rather random V-Moth in my little bit of Denbighshire woodland, so I'm hoping that might turn up at the allotment as well!
AngLeps pheromone trap in position
AngLeps pheromone trap in position
Currant Clearwings within minutes
Currant Clearwings within minutes
Currant Clearwing Synanthedon tipuliformis
Currant Clearwing Synanthedon tipuliformis
Greg

Re: Currant Clearwing success

Post by Greg »

Hi Clive,

That's a Result!
I admire your resourcefulness.

Regards
Greg
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

all that and Goosgogs too :-)
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Sadly no goosegogs - birds have already been busy. I see no reason why clearwings shouldn't be ok with an open-mesh fruit cage at some point.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

When aquiring an allotment, most people would think of vegetables and healthy eating, but nice to see that you have the right priorities Clive.

Mel.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

bet he's got a six pack in his shed too Mel!
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

The Currant Clearwing was a source of celebration, but (assuming your six pack reference refers to alcoholic beverage containers rather than any long-vanished abdominal musculature) a V-Moth would merit something bottled in a magnum or similar!