Large Yellow Underwing: An Apology

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
shearwater

Large Yellow Underwing: An Apology

Post by shearwater »

Hi All
I would like to apologise to all Cheshire Moth-ers for the lack of Large Yellow Underwing in your traps. This was because last night no less than 119 were in my trap. This is by far the highest single species catch here, in fact that number of all moths would constitute a good night. In the event 291 moths of 36 species were trapped, again smashing the previous record. 11 Lesser Yellow Underwing, 6 Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing, 7 Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing and a single Least Yellow Underwing joined in the orange blur! Other high counts were 31 Garden Grass Veneer, and 26 Shuttle Shaped Dart. A very smart Gold Spot was NFY.
Once again please accept my apologies for hogging all those Underwings!

Cheers
Rob
SteveH

Re: Large Yellow Underwing: An Apology

Post by SteveH »

Rob - I think I can speak for all of us when I say... "No no, its OK - you can have them all" Icould have done with 56 less in my trap on Thursday morning!

Cheers,
Steve
RayBertera

Post by RayBertera »

I also had 124 LYUs in my trap on Thursday morning. Amazingly, they were outnumbered by moths from the Small Ermine group, Yponomeuta padella/malinellus/cagnagella. It is not unusual for me to get a few of these species but 325 was unprecedented.

Did anyone else get invaded by these species?

Regards
Ray
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

325 is more moths than we've ever had in a trap at any one time.

We had exactly 323 fewer pad/mal/cags than you on Monday night - and those two did us nicely thanks!

Cheers, Julian
Tim_Ward

Post by Tim_Ward »

No need to apologise. I had more than 284 LYU in my garden trap on Thursday morning. I say "more than" because I stopped counting at that point! Around 700 moths in total and an exhausting day spent extracting them (actually, allowing them to explode out of the trap in a controlled way!!) Still working at identifying a few of the more difficult ones.....
Tim
Juliah

Post by Juliah »

you could have had my 80 or so too!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Ray,

yes - although not the vast numbers you've been getting. The norm here for non-evonymella-type Ermines is about five or six per year so 20+ a couple of nights ago was huge for here.

Cheers,
Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I've not had many of the Yponomeuta padella group in recent years, averaging 2.6 over the last five years, well down on the 40 I caught in 2008 but I did get six on Thursday morning. I also noticed a sudden increase in Bird-cherry Ermine Yponomeuta evonymella the same morning, when my catch shot up from 0-2 a night to 30.

Large Yellow Underwings have been a nuisance again this week, only 146 on Thursday morning. Friday morning was the worst, when I counted 360 in the trap, although not sure exactly how many there were, as they were also exploding from my trap, so I must have missed many. A more manageable 102 this Saturday morning.

Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've always thought that all my non-evonymella ermines were padella too - not that any have ever been verified through dissection.

Cheers,
Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Dissection doesn't help with the non-evonymella ermines we catch, you need to find the larvae and note the foodplant.

Regards
Steve