Very good night - despite the maelstrom

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Very good night - despite the maelstrom

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks.

So last night (26th-27th July) was massively better than I'd hoped for, given that the rain was so bad at times I was reaching for my "build your own Ark" plans!

338 Moths of 68 species.. The Box Tree was the star of the show but the supporting cast wasn't too shabby, with: Recurvaria leucatella, Euzophera pinguis, Calamatropha paludella and Mompha propinquella (3) amongst the micros plus Bordered and Golden-rod Pugs, Least Yellow Underwing, Orange Swift and Buff Footman highlighting the macros.

Commonest species were: Large Yellow Underwing (64), Blastobasis adustella (44), Common Rustic agg (31) and Heart & Dart (22).

After decanting the trap I spent a good 20 minutes rescuing lots of micros from the clutches of water that had gotten into the trap. Some need more than others - on the good side, some just need flipping over onto their legs again and the fly off immediately, Others seem not to understand that, having been rescued and placed away from the water, its not normal to dive straight back in!

Cheers,
Steve