Is this a Cloaked Minor?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
MPStanyer

Is this a Cloaked Minor?

Post by MPStanyer »

Possible Cloaked Minor. Marple 26/07/2019
Possible Cloaked Minor. Marple 26/07/2019
From Friday night. 26/07/2019. rather worn but the best I could come up with was Cloaked Minor which would be a garden first for me. Wonder if anyone is able to confirm please?
SteveH

Re: Is this a Cloaked Minor?

Post by SteveH »

that looks fine for Cloaked Minor. One other species which can look superficialy similar is Small Dotted Buff, but the body of that species doesn't extend beyond the closed wing.

Cheers,
Steve
MPStanyer

Post by MPStanyer »

Thanks Steve. I struggled with this for a while before coming to that conclusion. The abdomen did project noticeably beyond the wings. Cheers.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mike and Steve,

I think your moth looks more like a worn Dun-bar. The wings look too rounded for any of the Minors.

Greg
MPStanyer

Post by MPStanyer »

Thanks Greg, compared with other Dun-bars in the trap this moth was noticeably smaller & the abdomen projected slightly beyond the wings which I haven't noticed in Dun-bar before. I suppose this could be consistent if the wings were not fully inflated on emergence. Unfortunately the markings are quite difficult to discern. I must admit Dun-bar is very common in garden compared to Cloaked Minor which I have never recorded before so the odds would be in favour of Dunbar. I might have to leave as unidentified.
Cheers.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Martyn

I would agree with your first choice as Cloaked Minor

Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Martyn, you are fine to record as Cloaked Minor :-)

Cheers,
Steve