Riband Wave dots?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
MothNoggin

Riband Wave dots?

Post by MothNoggin »

I had this moth down as a non-banded Riband Wave, with kinked third cross-line, but the dots seem wrong to me. The dot on the forewing is distal to the second cross-line, not closer to the base like I usually see.
Is this still a non-banded Riband Wave or could it be a Plain Wave, or of course something else?
IMG_7798.jpg
Thanks
Nev
Greg

Re: Riband Wave dots?

Post by Greg »

Hi Nev,

You're right, the dots on the forewings seem to be on the outer side of the second
cross-line instead of the inner side, as on the illustration in Waring and Townsend.
Also on all the photos I've got they're on the inner side.
Other than that all the other features point to Riband Wave.

Greg
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

Hiya Nev,

I'd agree it's likely a Riband Wave. There are several pictures of Riband Waves at Butterfly Conservation here https://butterfly-conservation.org/moths/riband-wave

One in particular (sorry, I can't link directly to the exact photo, but it's the one on the edge of a what may be a nettle leaf) appears to show two sets of dots in this area, one on the second cross line as expected, and another between the second and third lines (like in your picture). So I'd guess their genetics can program dots in either or both positions?

But none of ours have looked like this!

Cheers, Julian
MothNoggin

Post by MothNoggin »

Thanks Both.
Haha - I see a little project developing here for me!
'Phenotypic variation in punctate patterns in non-banded Riband Wave, Idea aversata f. remutata in Cheshire'
.... assuming I can ID them!
Thanks
Nev