For better or for worse...

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

For better or for worse...

Post by SteveH »

So, having been back in the land ot moth-trappers for about a month now (following two months of having no working trap) I thought I'd see how we were doing - and its not good reading!

To date, we've trapped 207 species - nothing special about that in a normal year but better than reasonable when considering only 18 nights' trapping in 2019 so far. Given that at any one time we are within the flight period of a good few species the results below would improve for some as we catch more of them. Similarly, we grade species as either 'doing better than average' or 'doing worse than average' - its not meant to be something scientific! The only other point to make is that if we've not trapped a species AT ALL during the year, then its discounted from the findings - it would be harsh to say something was doing worse because we've not caught it if we've only ever caught it once before 20 years ago!

So what are the results as of this morning: well, 37 species are actually faring better than the norm but the other 170 are currently worse off. One species I looked at more closely was interesting as it came in and at one point was the commonest micro we trapped - how times have changed for Epiphyas postvittana!
Epiphyas postvittana at Elton: 2000-2019
Epiphyas postvittana at Elton: 2000-2019
Cheers,
Steve
PaulHopkins

Re: For better or for worse...

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Steve,

Your figures for LBAM look about in line with county-wide trends if you look at the distribution of the dark/light areas on this phenology chart: https://www.cheshiremothcharts.com/phen ... nid=qpg6w1

(Shows the two generations nicely as well, I didn't realise this species was double-brooded).

Cheers
Paul