ID help requests July 2019 - part 1

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
PaulHopkins

ID help requests July 2019 - part 1

Post by PaulHopkins »

I ran the garden trap on 22/7 and 24/7 with spectacular results: over 80 species on each night, more than I've ever had in a trapping session before.

Here are a few I could use some help with. (Split over two posts to get around the 10 photo limit).

1. Fairly sure this is just one of the many forms of Light-brown Apple Moth, but not one I've seen before. Am I on the right track?
1. Light Brown Apple Moth?
1. Light Brown Apple Moth?
2. I find wainscots pretty difficult, but have I got the Common/Smoky Wainscot pair here? First, Common:
2. Common Wainscot?
2. Common Wainscot?
3. ... and next, Smoky:
Smoky Wainscot?
Smoky Wainscot?
4a. The woods behind my garden host thousands of native Bluebells. I've spent a lot of time over the last couple of years searching the flowers for the larval spinnings of Eana incanana, to no avail. But I sometimes wonder if I'm missing the adults among the many Cnephasias that come to the trap. Some of the ones I get look very much like those I see posted on various Facebook groups with an apparently confident ID of E. incanana, though I must admit I'm sometimes sceptical. Here are a couple from 22/7. One other expired in the fridge waiting for a photo; Steve Hind, would it be OK for me to send it to you for dissection? (With the understanding that it will probably turn out to be Cnephasia!). One individual:
Cnephasia (or Eana?) - individual 1
Cnephasia (or Eana?) - individual 1
4b. ...and another individual:
Cnephasia (or Eana?) - individual 2
Cnephasia (or Eana?) - individual 2
5. A nice Eucosma cana - I think...
5. Eucosma cana?
5. Eucosma cana?
6. Gypsonoma sp?
6. Gypsonoma sp?
6. Gypsonoma sp?
Cheers
Paul
stevehind

Re: ID help requests July 2019 - part 1

Post by stevehind »

Hi Paul

I'll have a go at your 'Cnephasia' if you send it over. I too wonder if I'm sometimes missing Eana incanana, as there are plenty of Bluebells in the nearby woods. In recent years I've only had Cnephasia asseclana and Cnephasia incertana. I used to get the larger Cnephasia stephensiana but not seen any in the past couple of years.

Your other ID's look OK. Not sure about your Gypsonoma as the left wing appears to be covering part of the right wing.

Regards
Steve
PaulHopkins

Re: ID help requests July 2019 - part 1

Post by PaulHopkins »

Confirmed as male Eana incanana now - thanks Steve. This must be far less uncommon than the records suggest.

Paul