A bit out of place to be...?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
swampthing

A bit out of place to be...?

Post by swampthing »

Photographed this today just outside our recording area (Ludworth Moor, Stockport). The best I can suggest is Dingy Shears, but it does not appear to be a moorland inhabitant. Your comments please.

P.S. The same site has provided 7 species of day-flying macros this week - antler, true lover's knot, common footman, large yellow underwing, least yellow underwing and SIlver 'Y'

Cheers,
Andy B.
Attachments
P1020177 (800x708).jpg
P1020184 (800x670).jpg
SteveH

Re: A bit out of place to be...?

Post by SteveH »

not sure moorland discounts it Andy - Sallow is the larval foodplant so if there was any of that then you are OK .They are found all over the place - we get them in the garden from time to time here in Elton...and we don't even have Sallow close by :-)

Cheers,
Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Andy
Are you sure it's not a Common Rustic ?
Regards
Steve
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Good point Steve - my bad!

Steve
swampthing

Post by swampthing »

What a let down! The illustrations in the guide do not show the 'tooth' mark I was looking for. Of course as soon as I looked on UK Moths, the first photo clinched it. Never mind, to make up for this I got only the 2nd Olive for my garden on the same night. Not too much else to write home about though. I hope it's not going to be the usual Autumn fade out here in Romiley.

Cheers,

Andy