Holiday Moths

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Holiday Moths

Post by melbellingham »

Having just returned from a week in Herefordshire, approx. 1 mile from Hay-on-Wye, with no internet connection, I’m just catching up on your recent posts.

I can see straight away that you have been either enjoying superb catches of Large Yellow Underwings, or watching foxes eating them.

Based in a fairly remote holiday cottage approximately 200m above sea level, next to mixed woodland, surrounded by fields and with no street lights I trapped in the cottage garden for 5 nights.

I recorded over 1100 moths of 133 identified species, but lost many unidentified moths and probably other species which escaped when decanting.

I caught no new species, but did record many species not recorded at home, and one or two that are not too common in Cheshire. Almost as soon as the lamp switched on Black Arches appeared every night.

I was surprised though at some of the common moths at home being less abundant. The Yellow Underwing species I have been reading about in your recent posts, seemed to be in short supply.

I caught 3 of the family, two shown on the attachment (showing some of the most abundant species), with only a single Lesser YU recorded all week. BBYU and Least YU were not recorded at all.
Herefordshire July 2019
Herefordshire July 2019
Mel.
melbellingham

Re: Holiday Moths

Post by melbellingham »

All is back to normal now that I am back home, with 105 LYU last night.

Mel.