Help with ID.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Cymro

Help with ID.

Post by Cymro »

This micro was in last night's trap (one of 15 species). From its posture and size (c.6mm) it resembles either a parornix or caloptilia, although I accept that I am very likely to be totally wrong. However, I can tell you that it is a lively little fellow and took me an age to take its photo.
Any help to give this moth a name will be very welcome. If it becomes necessary, I will retain the moth and 'look at its bits'.
Huw
Attachments
Parornix or ......jpg
melbellingham

Re: Help with ID.

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Huw,

I might be completely wrong as well, but I think it is Leek Moth Acrolepiopsis assectella.

If you trapped it on your allotment, it might be that you need to check your leeks.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Huw

I agree with Mel, Acrolepiopsis assectella

Regards
Steve
Cymro

Post by Cymro »

Thank you Mel and Steve.

I shouldn't admit this but I have not only trapped this moth before at my home but identified it correctly as well! Age does not come alone!

Surprisingly perhaps but I have never trapped this species on my allotment, although its presence, at least its larva, caused considerable damage to the leeks last year. We all have our fingers crossed for this year.

Huw
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I suspect you might never plug this 'leak' Huw :-)

Steve