Best Trap of the week.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

Best Trap of the week.

Post by Greg »

Morning All

After a week of dismal catches, last nights was much better.
68 of 15 species NFY Flounced Rustic, Nutmeg and Six-striped Rustic.
Also 2 Old Lady's in the trap, which must be a first.

Greg
Attachments
Flounced Rustic
Flounced Rustic
Nutmeg
Nutmeg
Six-striped Rustic
Six-striped Rustic
Old Lady
Old Lady
stevehind

Re: Best Trap of the week.

Post by stevehind »

Hi Greg

It's always interesting to see what others are catching and I was surprised to see that you have only just caught Six-striped Rustic, as I have been catching them here since 26th July. Last night produced 15, bringing the yearly total to 117. However I have yet to catch Nutmeg in 27 years of trying.

Regards
Steve
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Steve

Last year I caught 29 Six-striped Rustics they don't normally start arriving until August in my garden.
Three Nutmegs arrived for the first time last year from late July to mid-August.
The one above is the first of this year.
Trapping in my garden has been very intermittent this year due to the inclement weather, so they may have been around a little earlier.

Regards
Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Like SteveHH, I enjoy reading about the moths other members of the forum are catching, seeing nice photographs and learning about the distribution of various species.

I feel sorry for you guys though, having to count all of your Six-striped Rustics each morning, as it must take you ages.

It’s much better here, as I don’t often get bothered by them. In the 17 years that I have now been recording in my garden, I have only 20 records of 23 individuals, which have come in just 9 of the 17 years.

I’m not really expecting to find one in the trap this year, but if I do, I won’t get too upset about it.

Mel.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

I'll swap one of my Six-striped Rustics for your White-line Dart any day. ;)

Greg
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Greg,

I know exactly what you mean. It's all about distribution, and it gets hard when there are not many there.

We do keep trying though.

Mel.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

I aso find what other people are catching to be very interesting (but in the case of SteveHH a bit annoying :-) ) and I'm wondering if Six-striped is actually becoming rarer in the west. We've only had 97 individuals since 1991 with a peak of 14 in 1996 but the last five years has seen just 10, including a complete blank in 2016. Time-wise, now is the peak period here in Elton, though we do have an isolated record from the second week of July...
Six-striped Rustic: Elton: 1991-present
Six-striped Rustic: Elton: 1991-present
Right - its stopped raining - time to go see whats in the trap!

Cheers,
Steve