Help with Leaf Mines Please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Tim_Ward

Help with Leaf Mines Please

Post by Tim_Ward »

Steve Hind has devoted time and effort to trying to teach me about leaf mines but my latest solo trip has convinced me that I'm a slow learner. I can't match what I see to the descriptions in the leaf-miner website, so help please.........
Tim
Attachments
On Rowan 3.1 (2).JPG
On Rowan 2.1 (2).JPG
On Oak 3.1 (2).JPG
On Oak 2.1 (2).JPG
On Ash 1.1 (2).JPG
On Ash 1.2 (2).JPG
stevehind

Re: Help with Leaf Mines Please

Post by stevehind »

Hi Tim
You'll need to provide us with the names of the trees the mines were on.
Regards
Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

OK for my best guesses:
Assuming Rowan for the first two, the first mine could be Stigmella magdalenae, which is scarce on the Cheshire Plain. Where was this found ? The second is not clear enough but most likely Stigmella nylandriella.
Assuming the next three are on oak, the first two are best recorded as Stigmella atricapitella agg. I find the Stigmella oak species difficult to ID. You need to note where on the leaf the egg has been laid and you are best starting with tenanted mines. I don't think the third has been produced by a leaf miner.
Your last photo appears to be the mite gall Psyllopsis fraxini, which is found on ash.
Regards
Steve
Tim_Ward

Post by Tim_Ward »

Hi Steve,

I had titled the photos with the names of the trees but these titles weren't displayed for some reason; fortunately you guessed the tree species correctly. All them were at Brereton Heath.

Once again, many thanks for your help........ Tim
Tim_Ward

Post by Tim_Ward »

Steve, given your comments, I assume you won't want me to record Stigmella nylandriella but are you happy for me to record Stigmella magdalenae?
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Tim
Yes, record Stigmella magdalenae, as Brereton Heath is one of the few places on the Cheshire Plain I've found it.
I can't see the frass clearly enough on the possible Stigmella nylandriella, so best not record it.
Regards
Steve