Micro Help Please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
rogerwilkinson

Micro Help Please

Post by rogerwilkinson »

I caught a well marked black, white and brown micro this morning that on first glance I thought to be Eucosma campoliliana and on closer inspection Ypsophola sequella but am not sure it fits this either as it lacks the "rabbit ears"

Would appreciate help with this

Thank you, Roger
26 August 2019 2 Weston Grove (4)cropt.JPG
26 August 2019 2 Weston Grove (7)croptnauto.JPG
melbellingham

Re: Micro Help Please

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Rog,

I had this species earlier this month, and was confused as I had only had darker versions previously. It is Carpatolechia decorella.

See link: http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =24&t=4893

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Roger

It's always worth checking out the head when confronted with a new species to work out the family, see pages 30-40 in the field guide. On your example, note the distinct labial palps which curve back across the head. This feature is absent in both the Ypsolophidae and Tortricidae, so will rule out both your suggestions.

Working through the key to families should point you to the Gelechiidae and eventually to Carpatolechia decorella.

Regards
Steve
rogerwilkinson

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Thanks Mel - that's really very helpful . Missed your post as I have been away with family staying with my wife's sister and husband in Weymouth - and am now sorting through photos of some moths from there. Rog

And thanks Steve for your advice on using the family Key- I have to admit I have never tried that and gone straight to the illustrations or photos on the internet. Will give that a try. Rog
Last edited by rogerwilkinson on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerwilkinson

Post by rogerwilkinson »

Just checked in my 2012 Micromoths FG and discovered that C. decorella mentioned but not illustrated .