Two NFY and One to confirm please.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

Two NFY and One to confirm please.

Post by Greg »

Morning All,

Last night numbers continued to drop away but there were a couple of NFY Frosted Orange and Mouse Moth.
Also a couple of nights ago I caught this unusually marked moth. On closer inspection I now think it is a worn
Common Rustic agg. Can someone please confirm.

Thanks
Greg
Attachments
??
??
??
??
Mouse Moth
Mouse Moth
Frosted Orange
Frosted Orange
JulianB

Re: Two NFY and One to confirm please.

Post by JulianB »

Good question Greg! I've had a look in the recycle bin on my computer to find the most worn photo of a Common Rustic agg I'd deleted over the last week or so. I've found one that appears to show the beginnings of the white lines that you see on your moth. It has to be the most variable moth at this time of year! I'd go with your ID.

Cheers, Julian

PS Thanks for posting your picture of a Mouse Moth as well. I'd just been wondering what the worn moth with 2~3 dots might be that I had left to ID from this morning.

PPS Amazing pictures from you as always. Do you use a tripod to get such sharp snaps, or are you just very steady?
Attachments
A poor photo of a presumed worn Common Rustic agg
A poor photo of a presumed worn Common Rustic agg
Greg

Re: Two NFY and One to confirm please.

Post by Greg »

Thanks Julian,

It's the first time I've noticed the dark underwing on Common Rustic. There is no mention of it in my book
or any pictures I've seen on-line.
As far as my photos are concerned, yes I use a tripod and cable release to reduce vibration.
Also relying on natural light from a window, which can be tricky, so I try to fill in any shadows with diffused LED.
The pictures are purely for future ID purposes.

Regards
Greg