Cypress Pug

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
SteveH

Cypress Pug

Post by SteveH »

So this morning (30th August) I wasn't expecting too much in the trap and in that sense wasn't actually wrong. I took off the lamp holder and noticed a pug on the underside of the see-through perspex so potted it up; noted it looked a bit odd and put it in the bowl to look at after I'd finshed.

In and around the trap there were several Gold Spots, two Angle Shades and our first Frosted Orange of the year, plus another Vine's Rustic and a Mouse Moth, so all in all not too bad. Not done counts yet but probably around 100 moths of 25 species.

Starting to enter all the data I looked again at the pug and was immediately convinced I didn't have a clue what it was! Fortunately the subsequent ID was straightforward enough and its a Cypress Pug - actually something I'd seen twice before in the south of England, so its new for the garden and since I can find no record as yet anywhere else, it may yet prove to be the first for Cheshire.
Cypress Pug: Elton 30th August 2019
Cheers,
Steve
Greg

Re: Cypress Pug

Post by Greg »

Nice one Steve,

That's a cracking Pug, a recent colonist in 1959 Cornwall, slowly spreading north
but a real rarity up here in Cheshire.

Greg
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Cheers Greg,

I'll try for some pix out of the pot when I'm done with other stuff :-)

Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Well done Steve
There is a 2016 record from Pentraeth, Anglesey and a pre 2000 record from the Market Rasen area of Lincolnshire, otherwise its northern range is around Birmingham.
Regards
Steve
CliveJ

Post by CliveJ »

Brilliant!
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

An 'out-of-the-pot' photo of the Cypress Pug plus others of Frosted Orange and Bucculatrix maritima.
Frosted Orange: Elton 30th August 2019
Frosted Orange: Elton 30th August 2019
Bucculatrix maritima: Elton 30th August 2019
Bucculatrix maritima: Elton 30th August 2019
Cheers,
Steve