Ectoedemia heringella new to Cheshire

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Ectoedemia heringella new to Cheshire

Post by stevehind »

Last Saturday found me in the centre of Crewe, in the tetrad SJ75D. A tetrad which had not previously been visited in search of leaf miners. My time was spent investigating the trees in and around Badger Park which produced some 30+ species. The most abundant miner was the Apple Leaf Miner Lyonetia clerkella, as is often the case in urban sites. Here the trees were more of the exotic variety, rather than those which are not normally found in the wider countryside. So no Pedunculate Oak but plenty of Turkey Oak and a Holm Oak, which apart from the usual Phyllonorycter messaniella mines, also held gallery mines of a Nepticullidae, which I assumed would be Stigmella suberivora, although checking the leaf mines keys, it appears that Stigmella basiguttella also mines Holm Oak. Neither species has been found in Cheshire before but sadly the mines were too old to determine to species level, so looks like an earlier visit to the site next year will be required in the hope of finding fresher specimens.

Regards
Steve
Attachments
Mine on Holm Oak - Crewe - 7/9/2019
stevehind

Re: Ectoedemia heringella new to Cheshire

Post by stevehind »

These mines have now been determined as Ectoedemia heringella and appear to be well north of any previous UK site.

Regards
Steve