Moth Night 2019

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Moth Night 2019

Post by stevehind »

Just a reminder that the next three nights, 26th to 28th September 2019, are the 20th anniversary of Moth Night.
img064.jpg
see www.mothnight.info
Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Re: Moth Night 2019

Post by melbellingham »

I'm getting all excited. I can't wait to see how many Blue Underwings I catch. :twisted:

Mel.
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

Started our moth night with a look at the Michaelmas daisies just now - two moths nectaring.

Neither a Blue Underwing, but the first was a migrant (Silver Y), and the second what looks to be a Tissue. I'll post a photo when I get one in better light tomorrow, but it would be a first for our garden. And flying slightly late for Cheshire.

Cheers, Julian
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

Ok, here's a picture of what might be a Tissue. It lacks the black line along the edge of the underwing, but could be worn. Can anyone confirm?

Otherwise a poor night. Rather windy, even thought the rain held off. Just two moths in the traps, a Yellow-line Quaker and a Flounced Chestnut. And bizarrely, nothing blue!

Cheers, Julian
Attachments
Tissue?
Tissue?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Julian,

Yes, it's a Tissue. On the wing Aug-Oct hibernates as an adult then again Apr-May.
A nice moth. It's sure to trump most moths the rest of us caught last night, unless
anyone had a CN.

Regards
Greg
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

Thanks Greg!

I've also since read that this moth should be slightly glossy. I took the photo early this am using illumination from a daylight-balanced light bulb, and did have trouble with the light shining off one wing or the other.

Julian
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Julian,

That can be a problem when the moth is slightly worn.
I find the most difficult species are Common and Dark Chestnuts which have glossy surfaces even when fresh.
It's a case of shooting from different angles to try and diffuse the light.

Greg
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Tissue is an excellent find Julian, not a species seen in Cheshire every year.
It's always well worth checking flowers after dark, as some species are not attracted to light that often.
Regards
Steve