Northern/Winter Moth????

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Northern/Winter Moth????

Post by melbellingham »

Late October, November and December are months when I usually hope to record the few moths that help to increase my year list. This year especially, as nearly 40 macro species recorded last year are missing from this year’s list.

Last night (23/10/2019 – min 8.5 deg. C) when making my last visit to the trap, I found a new moth for the year, in what I thought was Winter Moth. It was resting on the fence above the trap.

Checking it this morning I am now of the impression that it is Northern Winter Moth (NFG), a moth I have only previously seen on my visits to Fenn’s, Whixall and Bettisfield Mosses.

It is small but within the size range (14mm wing length), has white/whitish hindwings and has the silky appearance. However, as the species is not common in the west of the county, I would appreciate comments.
Northern/Winter Moth
Northern/Winter Moth
Also recorded:
125W MV trap - (1845 hrs - 2130 hrs) Blair’s Shoulder-knot
5W LED trap - (2130 hrs - 0730 hrs) Red-green Carpet and Mottled Umber

Mel.
CliveJ

Re: Northern/Winter Moth????

Post by CliveJ »

It certainly looks good to me; cf one from my Maeshafn site in 2017 https://www.flickr.com/photos/149980226 ... 413240208/

Cheers

Clive
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Mel

I've had a couple in my Davenham garden confirmed by Steve over the last three or four years and like you also
at Whixall Moss.
I'm not too sure about this one of yours though. The Northern has noticeably longer wings, underwing protruding below forewing when at rest, usually paler with bolder central cross band. I'm sure one of the Steves will be able to confirm.

Regards
Greg
Attachments
Northern Winter Moth
Northern Winter Moth
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Thanks Clive and Greg for your comments.

I've only seen a couple of Northern Winter Moth on the Mosses, so I don't have much to go on, but I still have the moth and looked at it many times today. The whitish underwings have always been on view, even after it has been disturbed, but Greg's example does perhaps show more. My photograph was not 'posed', and what you see is how it settled after it was tapped out of the pot.

I didn't want to kill it if I can avoid it, but another night in the fridge shouldn't cause it too much inconvenience.

If necessary, I could dissect it.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel
The hindwing is usually visible when at rest in Northern Winter but not in Winter Moth.
Regards
Steve
Attachments
Northern Winter Moth
Northern Winter Moth
Northern Winter Moth
Northern Winter Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Thanks Steve,

It was mainly the resting posture, with the hindwings on show that directed me towards Northern Winter Moth, but dispite looking at many different images of both species, I couldn't convince myself that the wing shape was right.

Thanks for all previous comments, most appreciative.

Mel.