Winter Moth

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Winter Moth

Post by melbellingham »

I put the trap out for a few hours last night (02/11/2019, 1730 hrs until 2230 hrs - 7.7 deg. C at close/5.5 deg. C min overnight.) and managed to record a few moths including Winter Moth (NFY), November Moth agg 2, Blair's Shoulder-knot and Tachystola acroxantha.
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth is the last of the macro species that I was expecting to record and puts my macro list at 189 for the year, but there are one or two possibles that I only record occasionally. Still hoping.......

This total is better than I was expecting a few months back, but is lacking 43 species of macro, that I had recorded by this date last year.

Mel.
wirralbirder

Re: Winter Moth

Post by wirralbirder »

Hi Mel
I had my first Winter Moth for the year on the 1st along with Common Marbled Carpet,Silver Y.Tachy(5) LBAM (6) and Eudonia angustea.The Winter Moth was only my third individual ever.
Recorded Nettle-tap at BM today(3rd) not sure if that is late as I don't get it in the garden trap.
Cheers Harry
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

wirralbirder wrote: Recorded Nettle-tap at BM today(3rd) not sure if that is late as I don't get it in the garden trap.
I can’t see any records as late as this, see https://www.cheshiremothcharts.com/phen ... nid=g7q571. Looks like it might have two generations in Cheshire, with this being right at the tail end of the second.

Cheers
Paul
wirralbirder

Post by wirralbirder »

Nettle-tap BMW  Nov 03rd 2019 _9422ed .jpg
Hi Paul
I thought that was rather late for the species.It was found on an Umbellifer flowerhead a few yards from the Old IMF hide.
Cheers Harry
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

It appears to have been a terrible year for Anthophila fabriciana in 2019. I've only seen four this year.
Regards
Steve