3 More NFY

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Greg

3 More NFY

Post by Greg »

Morning All

Last night was dry, cool and moonlit so I wasn't expecting much, but 9 of 8 species was ok.
Including NYF Winter Moth, a Large Female December Moth and this micro, which I think is
an Exapate congelatella. Can someone please confirm ?

Thanks
Greg
Attachments
Exapate congelatella ??
Exapate congelatella ??
Exapate congelatella ??
Exapate congelatella ??
Female December Moth
Female December Moth
Winter Moth
Winter Moth
stevehind

Re: 3 More NFY

Post by stevehind »

Yes Greg, Exapate congelatella.
I had 106 of these over the three year period 2008-2010 but only one during the last three years and was thinking it might be on the way out here. However there were a dozen in the trap last night. They do appear to all emerge at the same time, as I have had nightly catches of 24, 26 & 28 in previous years and Barry Shaw had 38 on 1/11/2004.
15 species from 51 moths last night, including my first Winter Moth of the year and only my second Rusty-dot Pearl Udea ferrugalis of 2019. I've not done as well as others for migrants this year. No Rush Veneer Nomophila noctuella, which used to be regular, although I've not had one since 2015 and no Dark Sword-grass, which has only failed to appear in two out of the past eleven years.
Scrobipalpa costella and a couple of Red Sword-grass were trapped the previous night.
Regards
Steve
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

A couple more species added to this years garden list whilst sweeping leaves off the path this afternoon, with two vacated larval mines of Stigmella luteella in birch and two mines of Ectoedemia subbimaculella in oak, making 19 species recorded only as larval records during 2019.
Regards
Steve
Greg

Post by Greg »

Many Thanks Steve.

Regards
Greg