A new record for me.

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Cymro

A new record for me.

Post by Cymro »

Dear lovers of leaf-mines,
A recent email from Steve Hind suggested that around this time of year was best for searching for the leaf-mine of the neptuclid Ectodemia heringella on holm oak. This is a fairly recent colonist to the UK (1996) and has become well-established in the southern half of England and Midlands and ts progress north into Cheshire was confirmed by Steve Hind who found it in Crewe last year. Yesterday I was in Chester and took the opportunity to visit Oakleigh Cemetery to look for any holm oak and the presence of E. heringella .Although I only found one tree but I was fortunate to find a leaf with this mine on it -- other than the usually prolific Phyllonorycter messaniella.
1-4.088-Ectoedemia heringella.jpg
Huw John
stevehind

Re: A new record for me.

Post by stevehind »

Nice find Huw.
Now we know it is not restricted to the single site, it should encourage us to search for it elsewhere in Cheshire.
This is also a good time of year to look for bagworm cases, such as Narycia duplicella and Luffia lapidella on lichen covered stone. Gravestones are ideal habitats, if you are in that area again in the next few weeks.
Regards
Steve
Cymro

Re: A new record for me.

Post by Cymro »

Hi Steve,
Thank you. I was planning to continue looking but with something else to look for when visiting a cemetery.
Huw