Day flyers?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
AlexCropper

Day flyers?

Post by AlexCropper »

Hi all, first post on here for ages. The nights are really chilly and I'm guessing shoving a trap out may be a futile exercise. However, after seeing an Orange Underwing flitting around and landing on a birch at a local nature reserve (I could see the markings clearly through my bins) I was wondering if there are any other day flyers to look out for at this time of year? Sure, I could look in the book but maybe decent sites could be mentioned, not much else to do at the mo!

Alex - Poynton
PaulHopkins

Re: Day flyers?

Post by PaulHopkins »

Funny you should mention this - I was thinking of trying for Orange Underwing too.

My only slight reservation is that the place I'd like to visit - Bidston Hill, Wirral - is pretty popular and I suspect might be quite crowded as the weather warms up over the next couple of days, in which case this might not be such a good idea. How have others coped with getting outdoors but away from other people over the last few days?

Cheers
Paul
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Oh well, that’s all academic now - guess Orange Underwing will have to wait until next year!

In answer to your question Alex - I might be wrong but I reckon there won’t be many other day fliers around for a while - Emperor Moth and some of the longhorns might be the next ones to emerge, in April?

Stay well everyone, and let’s post loads of garden moth reports to keep each other sane!

Cheers
Paul
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Not day-fliers per se but both White-shouldered Moth and Brown House Moth are on the wing now and rummaging around nooks and crannies in your garden might reveal an Agonopterix...

Cheers,
Steve