Heart and Club?

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
shearwater

Heart and Club?

Post by shearwater »

[attachment=0]20200520_143445.jpg[/attachment]Hi All
Fairly decent mothing up on the coast, Elephant and Lime Hawkmoths being the crowd pleasers. In the trap this morning was this moth, which I reckon could be Heart and Club. Its a bit smaller than the Heart and Darts found near it, and also lacks the prominent "eyebrows" Heart and Dart shows.
Any suggestions would be welcome as ever!!
Cheers
Rob
Attachments
20200520_143445.jpg
JulianB

Re: Heart and Club?

Post by JulianB »

Hi Rob - I've never trapped one of these, but if this one had shown up with me, that's what I'd have called it :D

Cheers, Julian
shearwater

Post by shearwater »

Thanks Julian,
Thought I'd put it up as it seems quite a rare moth in Cheshire and Wirral. According to The Cheshire and Wirral Moth Atlas its not been recorded since 2011. It looks quite different from Heart and Dart.
Or it could be we both suffer from the same moth blindness, and its an abberant H&D!!

Cheers
Rob
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Rob,

I'd say your moth is a Turnip Moth. The Heart and Club is a shorter and broader looking moth, it also has distinct shoulders with a series of fine dark inverted w-shaped bands on the collar, also flight time mid June to August. Whereas the Turnip is on the wing now.
Pic below of Heart and Club for comparison.

Greg
Attachments
2088 Heart and Club.jpg
JulianB

Post by JulianB »

Good spot Greg - I agree! Sorry Rob - I didn't spend enough time looking at this - I just compared Heart and Dart to Heart and Club, thinking both were common on the Cheshire Plain (I often assume the plain is hip-deep in lots of exciting things we don't see often or ever in our garden).

Greg - your photo of the Heart and Club is cracking - it shows the feathering exactly as described on the tin (feathered to two thirds in the male, cf not visibly feathered in the Heart and Dart).

Cheers, Julian
shearwater

Post by shearwater »

Thanks Greg and Julian
Glad thats been cleared up, though it dosent look much like the Turnips ive been getting here! I love brown moths!!!
Thanks again
Rob