Only 5 Moths of 5 Species but Very Pleased....

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Only 5 Moths of 5 Species but Very Pleased....

Post by melbellingham »

Having not trapped the previous night because of the winds and bits of Oak and Sycamore debris flying everywhere, I did decide to set the trap last night (23/05/2020 - min temp. 13.4 deg. C)

Only 5 moths, but it only takes 1 to make it a good night.

Small Elephant Hawkmoth was the prize, only my third garden record, the previous records being in 2006 and 2007.

Also recorded: Peppered Moth NFY, Scalloped Hazel, Common Pug and Tachystola acroxantha.
Small Elephant Hawkmoth.
Small Elephant Hawkmoth.
Mel.
PaulHopkins

Re: Only 5 Moths of 5 Species but Very Pleased....

Post by PaulHopkins »

Can you send it 6 miles down the A41 please Mel?

One great moth for me too last night: Eulia ministrata, not one we normally see here in the west.

A stroll in Dibbinsdale LNR this afternoon produced Mompha langiella (I had to cheat on this one and ask Facebook, though I have had it in the garden before).

Cheers
Paul
Attachments
Eulia ministrata
Eulia ministrata
Mompha langiella
Mompha langiella
melbellingham

Re: Only 5 Moths of 5 Species but Very Pleased....

Post by melbellingham »

I know exactly how you feel Paul. It is always good to record a new species in your own garden, or find a moth you have been hoping to record after many years absence.

I am rather envious of your Eulia ministrana, and your Mompha langiella which I have never recorded anywhere.

Mel.