help required

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
pfa47

help required

Post by pfa47 »

Struggling with this one, is it a gen det Ephestia? or something more mundane.
Pete Atherton
Attachments
RSCN6075.JPG
stevehind

Re: help required

Post by stevehind »

Yes Pete, probably Ephestia unicolorella, which as you mention need dissecting.
Regards
Steve
pfa47

Post by pfa47 »

Many thanks Steve.
Pete.
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Last night I recorded what I consider to be a specimen of Ephestia unicolorella. I have caught several of these in the past and all those I have dissected have proved to be this species.

Unable to remember the old B&F number (my normal method of inputting Mapmate records), I typed eph.uni which is usually sufficient. This proved to be an invalid entry.

I tried several versions of expanded shortcuts, which also all proved to be invalid.

Trying with just unicolorella, Mapmate auto selected Oxypterix unicolorella. My initial thoughts centred around a name change. By selecting the Taxon tab and viewing the entry, this species proved to be a gelechiidae 35.080 formally B&F 0732. Obviously not what I was looking for.

I next found the ABH and B&F numbers for Ephestia unicolorella (from my existing literature) and tried them.

B&F 1474 found Ephestia unicolorella, and viewing the entry added ABH 62.065.

ABH 62.065 found Ephestia woodiella and viewing the entry added the comment ‘British species are now determined to be E. Woodiella. E. parasitella and E unicolorella are therefore treated as synonyms’.

Does this mean there will have been a change to the need for dissection?

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel

I would have thought dissection is still required to eliminate the likes of Ephestia elutella (Cacao Moth) & Cadra cautella (Dried Currant Moth)

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Although I asked the question, I assumed nothing would change.

However, I now have another query.

I did input the record as B&F 1474, as I normally do, but following your latest comment I thought that I should edit the record to Ephestia sp. or something on those lines, with the species name I had used in the comments field (just for my own benefit).

The problem is that no matter how I searched for the record, I could not find it.

I started with a search by date, and every record I had entered earlier was found except E. unicolorella.

I then searched by 1474, E. unicolerella was auto selected, but no records were found.

Thinking that the name might have changed in Mapmate (as it did for a while with Freyer’s and Edinburgh Pug) I searched E. Woodiella, but no records were found.

Fortunately, when I input my records this morning the record in question was the last one entered. I searched for last record, which I then deleted. I did this assuming I might never find it again.

I am now wondering if there is a problem with my system, or whether anyone else with Mapmate is also in the same situation.

If anyone using Mapmate would try to access Ephestia unicolorella records on their system, and post their findings, I would be grateful.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Same here Mel, no records shown.
Suggest contacting MapMate Support
Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for confirming that it is not just me that has the problem highlighted.

I have contacted Mapmate Support, and will post any info I receive.

Mel.