More Identification Help Please

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
A_Neal

More Identification Help Please

Post by A_Neal »

I have had several pugs and micros which I need help with identifying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Attachments
Not Sure
Not Sure
Grey Pug?
Grey Pug?
Pug - Around 20mm
Pug - Around 20mm
Pug - 24mm
Pug - 24mm
Epinotia bilunana?
Epinotia bilunana?
Another Epinotia bilunana?
Another Epinotia bilunana?
Not Sure
Not Sure
JulianB

Re: More Identification Help Please

Post by JulianB »

Hi Alex - just had a quick look at your first micro and your pugs.

I can make your micro into Argyresthia curvella - would you be happy with that? If confirmed, that would be a nice record for Cheshire, with only one or two showing up each year.

I agree your first pug is Grey. The second is possibly Grey. The third is too worn for my liking, but at 24mm this might have been a Freyer's. I wouldn't record this one.

Some nice moths all in!

Cheers, Julian
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Hi Alex,

Your last micro looks like Ephestia woodiella to me, but since that’s not on the Cheshire list it seems unlikely! Watching with interest...

Cheers
Paul
PaulHopkins

Post by PaulHopkins »

Actually reading up a bit more, I see species in that genus are hard to separate. None remotely common in Cheshire, anyway.

Cheers
Paul
A_Neal

Post by A_Neal »

Hi Paul and Julian,

Thanks for the identifications.

Firstly, Argyresthia curvella looks good to me and also I think that you're right with saying the second pug is Grey.

I do think that the Ephestia woodiella looks like a decent match after comparing to some pictures however I will wait for someone to provide a second opinion before saying anything more.

Alex
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Hi Alex

Epinotia bilunana is also correct.

Regarding the Ephestia species. Ephestia woodiella (previously known as E. unicolorella) appears to have become fairly common in recent years, especially in West Cheshire. These need dissecting to be sure and as most are released without being dissected, the few, confirmed, county records give a false impression of their status. This is the case with all species requiring dissection. They are all poorly represented on the county database and all appear to be much rarer than they actually are. Some of these difficult to identify species can be recorded as an aggregate, such as the Marbled Minors agg. but for the Ephestia you would have to use the top level aggregate 'Unidentified micro lepidoptera species' as no specific aggregate exists for the Ephestia. If you do record it under the 'Unidentified micro lepidoptera species' aggregate, please add Ephestia sp. in the comments field.

Regards
Steve
A_Neal

Post by A_Neal »

Many Thanks Steve