Some for confirmation and ID

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

Some for confirmation and ID

Post by bobhelencoan »

Good night last night. 51 species.
5 micros for confirmation and any possible help with ID
Caloptilia azaleella? Had a white head not that obvious on the photo.
Lesser wax moth
Blastodacna hellerella
Ephestia woodiella to be recorded as micro species with note?
Tiny micro. Any chance of an ID?
Other good moths last night were peppered moth, cinnabar, oak hook tip, yellow barred brindle and brown silver line suspect from local wood with extensive bracken. We had seen numerous during the day on a walk.
Bob is reposed to be shielding but we have risked a local walk well away from habitation.
Any help much appreciated as always. Bob & Helen
Attachments
Caloptilia azaleella
Caloptilia azaleella
Lesser wax moth
Lesser wax moth
Blastodacna hellerella ?
Blastodacna hellerella ?
Ephastia woodiella?
Ephastia woodiella?
Ephastia woodliella?
Ephastia woodliella?
ukn 28May
ukn 28May
JulianB

Re: Some for confirmation and ID

Post by JulianB »

Hi Bob and Helen,

Might your unknown mini-moth be something along the lines of a Bucculatrix such as ulmella? I think this would need dissection - if possible on such a tiddler!

Thanks, Julian
GasMacc1

Post by GasMacc1 »

re: Ephestia woodiella. It's a category 4, so would need dissection for id to species.

However, I think it's an interesting case. Until last week, I'd never heard of it!
But having seen two or three instances emailed to me and on Facebook in the last few days, I've become a little more familiar with it. My first step was to look into the Cheshire Moth charts, to see no records at all - but that's because we've never had one identified by dissection, I suppose.

So I think your comment is correct. We note it as micro sp. (Ephestia woodiella as a comment).

To top it all, one turned up in my trap on Thursday night!
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks for the replies. Will follow up the suggestion for the unknown.
Ephestia woodlia / unicolorella . Steve Hind kindly dissected a specimen for us a couple of years ago. 2018/2019 We bred through some eggs laid, feeding larva on wild bird seed mix. Adult moth hatched 15th May 2019. Recent sightings have not been dissected but we suspect they must be the same species
Like the marbled minor trio it is unlikely separation of the similar moths will be possible but it would be nice to be able record it as Ephestia species agg. Bob & Helen
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I would agree with your identifications.
As Mel has discovered on a previous post all the Ephestia woodlia/unicolorella records are missing from the database. Hopefully something that can be resolved.
Regards
Steve