Lots of micros recently

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
Tim_Ward

Lots of micros recently

Post by Tim_Ward »

Lots of micros in the trap on Monday morning.
Two species of Argyresthia are new to my Macclesfield garden (A. trisfasciata and A. conjugella) so I'd welcome confirmation.
I'm reasonably confident of my id's of Epiblema trimaculana and Gypsonoma dealbana, which I've had in the garden previously.
I believe the next little moth is Phyllonorycter leucographella, the Firethorn Leafminer; I've had this in the garden previously but would welcome confirmation.
Finally, I've 2 pictures of a little Elachista sp. The wing length is 5mm. I've had E. canapennella in the garden in the past but I'm not sure about this one. Is it possible to make a definite id without dissection?
The trap also contained lots of Coleophora, of which I'll dissect a few (probably C. caespititiella), Light Brown Apple Moth, Small Magpie and both Brown and White-shouldered House Moths (I didn't bother to photograph these) as well as 26 species of macro moth. A good night.
As always, your advice much appreciated.............Tim
Attachments
A. trifasciata
A. trifasciata
A. conjugella
A. conjugella
E. trimaculana
E. trimaculana
G. dealbana
G. dealbana
P. leucographella
P. leucographella
Elachista sp
Elachista sp
Elachista
Elachista
stevehind

Re: Lots of micros recently

Post by stevehind »

Hi Tim
I'd agree with your identifications with the one exception:
Your Gypsonoma dealbana looks like another Notocelia trimaculana. I'm catching a lot of these at the moment - 17 last night. Maybe still too early for Gypsonoma dealbana, which has a distinctive white face.
regards
Steve