More moths for ID and confirmation

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
bobhelencoan

More moths for ID and confirmation

Post by bobhelencoan »

Two moths found on local walks that we would like to ID for certain plus some more micros from Friday night. The daytime moth was about 10 to 11mm in length so a bit small for ypsolopha perhaps.
We have discarded about 5 micros as unidentifiable as they showed wear and did not have many markings. UKn 4 is probably in that category but you never know!

Thanks in advance for any help. Bob & Helen
Attachments
Dingy footman
Dingy footman
Daytime moth ypsolopha?
Daytime moth ypsolopha?
Coleophora 1
Coleophora 1
Coleophora 2
Coleophora 2
ukn B1 side view
ukn B1 side view
ukn B1 top view
ukn B1 top view
ukn B4 left side
ukn B4 left side
ukn B4  right side
ukn B4 right side
stevehind

Re: More moths for ID and confirmation

Post by stevehind »

Hi Bob & Helen

When you find something in the field it can help with the identity if you also note where you found it, as most micros I find tend to be on or near their foodplants. Same comment as I made on MothNoggins recent post, do have a look at the keys to families at the front of the field guide when faced with an unknown micro as the head on this moth shows the labial palps curved upwards reaching above the head as in the Geechiidae, rather than long and forward pointing as in most of the Ypsolophidae. I would probably need to dissect that one.

B1 looks like another Acrolepiopsis assectella Leek Moth.
Could B4 be Bactra lancealana ?

Regards
Steve
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Thanks again Steve. I don't know how we would cope without your help.
We have retained the moths so will send a package soon. Bob & Helen
bobhelencoan

Post by bobhelencoan »

Dissection by Steve Hind has determined Coleophora 1 as a male Coleophora lutipennella and number 2 as male Coleophora glaucicolella. The moth found in the day time was a female Psoricoptera gibbosella. The others were confirmed as Bactra lancealana ( F) and 2 male Maple pugs. Many thanks to Steve, without his expertise and willingness to help with identifications we would miss an large number of moths. Bob & Helen