Leaf-mines on Oak

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
melbellingham

Leaf-mines on Oak

Post by melbellingham »

Sorting through fallen leaves in the garden I found several with occupied mines. A couple are Stigmella gallery mines, which I know are hard/impossible to ID., the other are blotch mines.
Stigmella mine - egg on underside - 27/10/2020
Stigmella mine - egg on underside - 27/10/2020
I am hoping the upper mine is identifiable as Stigmella atricapitella because the larva shows signs of the protheracic sclerites. The adjacent lower mine is Ectoedemia subbimaculella with the underside slit.
Stigmella sp. - egg on underside - 27/10/2020
Stigmella sp. - egg on underside - 27/10/2020
nothing to suggest an ID., but could there be a pupa in the mine?
Ectoedemia subbimaculella - underside slit - 27/10/2020
Ectoedemia subbimaculella - underside slit - 27/10/2020
Ectoedemia heringi - no slit- egg upperside - 27/10/2020
Ectoedemia heringi - no slit- egg upperside - 27/10/2020
3 occupied Ectoedemia sp mines
3 occupied Ectoedemia sp mines
The upper mine Ectoedemia subbimaculella has an underside slit. The lower right mine of Ectoedemia heringi does not have the slit. The lower left has some damage on the underside which could be a slit.

As always confirmation / correction or any other assistance appreciated.

Mel.
stevehind

Re: Leaf-mines on Oak

Post by stevehind »

Hi Mel

Nice finds. The dark protheracic sclerites and underside egg look right for Stigmella atricapitella on your first photo.

Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Thanks Steve,

When it stops raining, I will have a look to see if any other fallen leaves contain mines.

Mel.
stevehind

Post by stevehind »

I've got a couple of oak saplings in the garden and these must have attracted a female Phyllonorycter lautella, as I now have 17 large, puckered mines on the leaves.
351 Phyllonorycter lautella SJ944838_SHHa1.JPG
351 Phyllonorycter lautella SJ944838_SHHa2.JPG
Regards
Steve
melbellingham

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

I have been looking but I haven't found any Phyllonorycter lautella mines yet, but I have to wait for fallen leaves to search through. As far as I can remember I have only seen mines of this species when out searching with yourself and Huw. We/you found them at Danes Moss in 2010, then Whitegate Way and Cranage in 2013.

In the garden most mines I'm finding are Ectoedemia heringi and Ectoedemia subbimaculella, but I've also found more examples of Stigmella atricapitella.

Other mines I'm finding are probably Phyllonorycter messaniella but could be P. quercifoliella. Although I record both adults in the garden, P. messaniella are much more common.

Mel.