Silver Y (Autographa gamma)

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Silver Y (Autographa gamma)

Post by stevehind »

Silver Y (Autographa gamma):

I had 32 Silver Y’s in the trap last night; the largest influx ever recorded in the garden but sadly no other migrants arrived with them. Did anyone else notice an increase in Silver Y’s last night?

Regards,
Steve

melbellingham

Re: Silver Y (Autographa gamma)

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

Haven't noticed many more in the trap, but I did have 5 nectaring on Buddleia last night. Not quite up to your 32
though.

Spent last week in Dorset staying at West Lulworth. Took a trap obviously, but other than Silver Y's not many other migrants caught. Half a dozen Rusty Dots, 1 Rush Veneer and 1 Cydia amplana. Out on the downs there were hundreds of Silver Y's everywhere we went, but no other migrant moths were noticed. Four Clouded Yellows and a few Painted Lady's seen, even though there had been no recent local reports, so it seemed likely there was some migration taking place.

Mel.

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Three Silver Ys in the trap last night may not sound a lot but they represented 25% of the nights catch!

Other than that, at home we first started catching them on 26th May, but have only had 41 all year. On my local patch, I've had ones and twos over the last three weeks or so.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

After catching 32, the following night produced 15, then it was downhill as the nights turned cold. Last night saw an improvement and this morning there were 25 Silver Y's in the trap.

Regards,
Steve

SteveCollins

Post by SteveCollins »

I have been patiently waiting for a Silver Y (Autographa gamma) with no luck and thought they had past me by. No flowers in the garden to inspect at dusk either.

Happen to be off work today so put the trap out last night despite the weather and finally got 2 Silver Y in the trap! It's new to the garden for me - like everything else!

Only other new one of note last weekend was Pine Carpet (Thera firmata) which doesn't seem to be too frequent locally, and up to 10 Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa) which I never had in Rochdale.

Cheers,
Steve

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Silver Y's (Autographa gamma) peaked at eight in our Elton trap on Friday last, when there was precious little else apart from singles of both Dusky Thorn (Ennomos fuscantaria) and Lunar Underwing (Omphaloscelis lunosa), both new for the year.

Cheers,
Steve

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Just a couple in my Higher Poynton trap

Regards,
Steve