Recent Moth Sightings - 2013

Discussion forum for all Moth (Micro & Macro-moths (Lepidoptera)) related topics.
stevehind

Recent Moth Sightings - 2013

Post by stevehind »

Recent Moth Sightings - 2013:

Last year (2012) some recorders on the Wirral were reporting very low moth catches and the situation appears to be continuing, with one site at Wallasey producing no moths after two nights trapping and at Pensby, there have been only three moths after nine nights trapping. Is everyone in the west suffering to the same extent?

Here in Higher Poynton, after catching five species by 4th January, my best start to any year, I only trapped a further seven times before early April, since when I’ve trapped regularly and am now on 57 species. Numbers of most species have been low, certainly compared to the past couple of Springs. Small Quaker had an exceptional year here in 2012, with 1098 in the trap. I’m back down to 154 so far this year, which is still high compared to numbers I used to catch. I’ve already had a couple of Dark Sword-grass, numbers I’ve only beaten on four occasions in the past twenty years, so let’s hope it’s a sign of a good year ahead for migrants.

Ocnerostoma friesei has recently been found at a few new sites. Singles came to light at Alsager on 1st May 2012 and Higher Poynton on 15th August 2012. Earlier this year Ben Smart found larvae at Dunham Park, from which adults were bred and now another has been trapped by Geoff Lightfoot at Cheadle Hulme on 7th May. Prior to last year our only records were from Stake Side in the Goyt Valley in 1991 & 1996. Just outside Cheshire, across the Mersey at Flixton, a specimen of Caloptilia populetorum came to light on 3rd May. This species has been spreading north for a number of years now and I have been looking out for the larvae, so far without success but having reached Lancashire it presumably passed through Cheshire, so something to be on the lookout for during the year.

I’ve been working our heather patches for a number of years in an attempt to plot the distribution of Coleophora juncicolella, whose larvae can be readily swept from their foodplant and despite being well camouflaged, soon reveal themselves by movement. This Spring I’ve found them in 16 monads, including on some very stunted plants at the highest point in VC58, by the Pennine Way, at Black Hill. I’ve yet to find the other Coleophora which feeds on heather, pyrrhulipennella, in the uplands, although it is present in the lowlands. A new site this year being Bickerton/Larkton Hill. Cowberry is a plant I rarely find, as it appears to be restricted to sites over 1000’. A couple of patches in Longdendale produced small larval cases of Coleophora vitisella. I come across few adults on the wing at this time of year, especially in the hills, although the odd specimens of Philedonides lunana were seen on Holme Moss and Cut-thorn Hill and Acleris hyemana at Holme Moss, Longdendale and Bickerton/Larkton Hill, as well as a couple of Common Heath in Longdendale. The most common macro-moth larva swept from heather is Heath Rustic, found at eight sites this year. Other species included Oak Eggar at Bickerton/Larkton Hill and Lindow Common; Smoky Wave on Holme Moss; Scalloped Oak at Marple Ridge Quarry; Grass Wave at Bickerton/Larkton Hill; Neglected Rustic at Holme Moss and Longdendale and Golden-rod Brindle in Lyme Park.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments
Golden-rod Brindle at Lyme Park
Golden-rod Brindle at Lyme Park
Neglected Rustic green form at Longdendale
Neglected Rustic green form at Longdendale
Neglected Rustic brown form at Holme Moss
Neglected Rustic brown form at Holme Moss
Smoky Wave at Holme Moss
Smoky Wave at Holme Moss
Coleophora vitisella young larval case at Longdendale
Coleophora vitisella young larval case at Longdendale
Coleophora juncicolella larval case at Saltersley Moss
Coleophora juncicolella larval case at Saltersley Moss
Coleophora pyrrhulipennella larval case at Lindow Common
Coleophora pyrrhulipennella larval case at Lindow Common
541 Coleophora pyrrhulipennella2 SJ8380 SHHc.jpg (80.66 KiB) Viewed 12792 times
Caloptilia populetorum at Flixton K McCabe
Caloptilia populetorum at Flixton K McCabe
Ocnerostoma friesei at Higher Poynton
Ocnerostoma friesei at Higher Poynton
445 Ocnerostoma friesei m SHH.JPG (75.24 KiB) Viewed 12792 times
melbellingham

Re: Recent Moth Sightings

Post by melbellingham »

Hi Steve,

As usual it would appear that I am trailing your garden list by quite a few species, with my total so far being 39 (27 macro's and 12 micro's). Compared with last year I am about 3 macro's short of my 2012 totals, comparing numbers up to this date. However it is difficult to know how the catches compare as I have 10 species of macro moths missing this year, that I had recorded by this date last year, but 6 species recorded this year that I didn't record at all last year. These include Satellite, Herald, Powdered Quaker, Least Black Arches, Oak Nycteoline and Streamer which I caught last night and is only my third for the garden. The two previous were caught on the same night in April 2010.

In January I trapped on 5 nights and caught 2 micro moths of 2 species. In Feb. I trapped on 5 nights and caught 1 micro. I trapped on 13 nights in March and recorded 8 species of macro and 2 species of micro moths. Up to the end of March most of these nights were in actual fact part nights, because I tended to put the trap away if the temperatures dropped too low, usually around 11pm.

In April I put the trap out 24 times (10 part nights) and recorded 13 Macro species and 4 micro. Up to and including last night (16/05) I have trapped on 14 nights this month, most nights with MV, but sometimes with actinic, and recorded 19 macro species and 6 micro. Most nights my numbers are still low, sometimes only 1 or 2 moths being caught and I have blanked 3 nights this month, when it might have been a bit breezy, but the temperatures seemed OK.

Numbers in general have been poor. For comparison my monthly totals of Small Quaker are March 3, April 12 and May 2.

Besides the Streamer, I also had Iron Prominent and Shuttle-shaped Dart, both new for the year in last nights trap.

Mel.

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

Glad to hear that moths still occur over your way. I was tending to think that the Wirral had become a moth free zone.

Out and about there is still little on the wing. A visit yesterday to Jacksons Brickworks produced just 10 Grapholita jungiella. The Eriocraniidae are just starting to mine the Birch as were Coleophora serratella.

Regards,
Steve

ES30

Re: Recent Moth Sightings - 2013

Post by ES30 »

Hi Steve,

Things have been pretty grim in Bromborough. Of 22 trapping nights so far this year (2013) have had 3 nil and others varying between 1 and 14 (next highest 3 x 9)! Apart from 1 Satellite (first moth of the year), 1 Oak Beauty, 1 Water Carpet and 1 Brindled Pug all the macros have been the usual suspects - Quakers, Hebrew Character, Clouded Drab & Early Grey.

Hope things will improve!!

Cheers
Ed

Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Hi Steve,

I'm jealous of your 57 species---- I've not even totaled 57 moths YTD.

I've had several blanks, my best night was 5 in Jan ---- 3 species.

It's disheartening ----- I think I'll take up star watching!

Kevin

stevehind

Post by stevehind »

If it’s any consolation, I also had an empty trap on Saturday morning, although there is usually a lull around this time of year, once the spring Quakers finish flying. New for the year in the past two nights have been Oak-tree Pug, Pebble Prominent, Flame Carpet and Spectacle.

Back onto the moors again yesterday, this time Hobson Moor above Matley. Little was flying due to the lack of sunshine, just a single Emperor Moth flew past. Flushed a couple of Common Heath. Sweeping the heather produced the following larvae: 11 July Highflyer, 9 Heath Rustic, 2 Scarce Silver Y, 3 Coleophora juncicolella and single Twin-spot Carpet, Smoky Wave and Neglected Rustic.

Regards,
Steve

Attachments
Scarce Silver Y on Hobson Moor
Scarce Silver Y on Hobson Moor
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Hi folks,

Well ..... where to begin ...... awful doesn't really do the year justice - its been DREADFUL!

Total of just 17 species so far, 42 moths in total. Last night produced Shuttle-shaped Dart and Dark Spectacle, the latter of which is far from common here. Our only moth of real interest is Phtheochroa rugosana, which we get every year, though its practically unrecorded elsewhere in Cheshire. Out and about on my local patch, I had Mother Shipton and several Adela reaumurella (plus Coleophora seratella cases) yesterday (25th May) - but failed miserably to find Coleophora orbitella. To-day was frustrating, the only thing I found was and an unidentifiable Epiblema circiana/scutulana etc.

I've a friend living near Northwich - he's had a 'two' and a blank in the last week, so perhaps Wirral is moving inland .....

Cheers,
Steve