Fish ID help please

An area for archived forum posts
Tom

Fish ID help please

Post by Tom »

The attached photos were taken of a fish caught in a bottle trap (intended for newts). Three of these fish were caught and are four to six inches in length from the tip of the tail to the mouth. It would be great to be able to generate a fish record as they are so often under recorded.

Attachments
Fish 2.jpg
Fish 1.jpg
Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
anno

Re: Fish ID help please

Post by anno »

In the first picture it may be interpreted that the fin edge is concave - thus leading me to assume it could be a young Dace (Leuciscus leuciscus) - he said, cautiously.... :?
anno

Post by anno »

having had another look, and noticing that what looks like the pectoral fin is fairly far forward,I think its a Gudgeon, the clincher would be two barbules (young barbel have four).
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Personally, from my freshwater angling days in ponds around Widnes, Runcorn and Frodsham, I would also have gone for a Gudgeon (Gobio gobio).

Steve :)
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks gents. I've had a look at some photos of the gudgeon and I'm happy to record it is as that. The only question I've got now is whether it matters if the water is running or not. Are freshwater fish specific to running or standing water? These fish were found in a fishing pond on the Zoo grounds.
Tom Hunt, Record Enquiries Officer
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Tom,

Most of the Gudgeon (Gobio gobio) I have caught (during my freshwater angling days) were from ponds - the vast majority of them relatively small ponds - less than 25 metres diameter.

See over at: http://www.first-nature.com/fishes/gobio_gobio.php

anno

Post by anno »

Hi Tom, in answer to your question different species have different preferences, but Gudgeon are common in Stillwaters and canals, they are usually in fairly largish shoals and feed near the bottom.
The thing with Coarse fish is that they can turn up in a lot of different places - either through translocation via birds as eggs/fry, or deliberately by Anglers - I once caught a Barbel in 'Burgess' pit in Widnes (now under a housing estate!)- which was basically a place where people dumped rubbish and dead dogs - the Barbel really needs a fast flowing, clear riverine system, how the poor begger ended up in Widnes is anybodys guess!!
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

Anno,

Can you remember when you caught that Barbel (Barbus barbus)?? Would be a good one to put into RODIS !!!

The database is VERY low on fish information and attempts to engage anglers have proven fairly nugatory so far !

Cheers mate.

P.S.: I once caught a couple of Bitterling (Rhodeus sericeus) in a small pond at the back of Bankfield School on Liverpool Road, Widnes.
anno

Post by anno »

Steve - I was wearing short pants and a school tie!

I can't remember last week sometimes...

I do remember plenty of Water Voles and dragonflies around that area too, isn't it frustrating that we have lost records like this ? :(
SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

VERY frustrating Anno mate - I wish digital cameras had been around then too - so many more records would at least be traceable back from the photos.

Steve