LCES Exhibition 2013?

An area for archived forum posts
Chraig

LCES Exhibition 2013?

Post by Chraig »

LCES Exhibition 2013 ?

Is there one coming up,or is it a secret ?

SteveMcBill

Re: LCES Exhibition 2013?

Post by SteveMcBill »

Details of the LCES Annual Exhibition - Sunday 15th September 2013 at Brockholes NR:

Kindly organised by Jeff Clarke, he requests that every attendee bring something to exhibit and to get in touch with him if they need an exhibiting table.

Any members attending the exhibition just need give in their car registrations to the Brockholes staff and they will arrange free exit from the car park.

It should be a very good exhibition with something for everyone at this very good nature reserve. A new venue for LCES and the keynote speaker has a very different type of talk for entomology enthusiasts!

Bob Letsche
Hon Sec LCES

Annual Exhibition

@ LWT Brockholes Nature Reserve (off J31 of M6)
Sunday 15th September 2013 - 11.00am till 4.00pm
(Exhibitors set up 8.30am till 10.30am)

Programme of Events:

11.00am Official opening of Exhibition by Ian Wallace - President of LCES
11.30am Talk: Cuckoo Bumblebees by Carl Clee
11.50am Bee Walk: Led by Carl Clee
12.30am Talk: Finding Inconspicuous Ladybirds by Jeff Clarke
12.50am Walk: Terrestrial invertebrate searches led by Jeff Clarke & Paul Hill
1.30pm Talk: Orthoptera; recent changes in status.
2.00pm Talk: Amoret Whitaker (Keynote Speaker) - Fly on the Wall – the role of insects in forensics

Amoret Whitaker is a forensic entomologist at the Natural History Museum, whose research has taken her to the famous “Body Farm” in Tennessee, where she studies the succession of insects on donated human cadavers. Her most recent work has focussed on the comparison between pigs and humans in decomposition studies, and the use of thermal imaging to investigate maggot mass temperatures. Amoret also carries out consultancy work, using insects to estimate minimum time since death in police casework. Her talk will cover all aspects of her work, and is not for the faint-hearted!

3.15pm Talk: Water Bugs and Beetles by Ian Wallace
3.35pm Walk: Freshwater invertebrate walk led by Ian Wallace
4.00pm Exhibition closes

Brockholes Nature Reserve has good catering facilities with free Wi-Fi, toilets at visitor centre, disabled access, and Assistance Dogs only are welcome. Info at: http://www.brockholes.org/ Samlesbury, Preston, PR5 0AG - Tel: 01772 872 000. There is free parking on the day for participants of the LCES Annual Exhibition.

LCES Website: http://www.record-lrc.co.uk/c1.aspx?Mod ... =G00110001
rECOrd - (Cheshire's LRC): http://www.rECOrd-LRC.co.uk

Steve

Chraig

Post by Chraig »

Thanks for the concise and prompt reply. It looks like they have a lot to get through on the day. Also it seems to be a private meeting whereas in the past it was just a case of wandering into the village hall.

I don't have anything to exhibit anyway unless I go out and catch a load of flies this week; oh and become a member!!

Thanks again.

SteveMcBill

Post by SteveMcBill »

LCES Exhibition 2013:

Hi Folks,

As you will know from the above, this year’s LCES Exhibition is being held at Brockholes Nature Reserve off junction 31 of the M6. This is a superb site, with a great exhibition space and fantastic varied habitats for some productive entomological searches.

Some of us will be actively leading guided walks for the public on the day and will be using equipment such as powered vacuum suckers to sample for inverts so many of you can take advantage of this to find some new and unusual species.

I am particularly delighted that we have secured the services of Amoret Whitaker as our Keynote Speaker – talking about Forensic Entomology. Some of you may have heard her recently on Radio 4’s: ‘A Life Scientific’. She describes her talk as “not for the faint-hearted”.

However, by far the most important part of the day is the support from the membership. Please do support the exhibition, but also why not bring along some specimens. If possible please bring some live exhibits (one of the reasons we switched to this time of year).

If anyone would like to moth-trap at Brockholes on Saturday night, that can be arranged, but you will need to contact me so that I can arrange access with Lorraine Cheesmur at the Lancashire Wildlife Trust.

Failing that, put your trap out at home and bring it in with you for a ‘live’ opening during the exhibition (The public love that! Especially the chance to photograph the moths!).

Don’t forget Society members park free for the exhibition.

If anyone needs a full table, or more, (or power) for their exhibits please let me know and I’ll make sure we have those in place for you on Sunday. We can set up the exhibition materials from 8.30am but all cars need to be back in the car-park by 10.00am. The exhibition closes at 4.00pm.

Please come and support ‘Your Exhibition’ and bring a friend as well!

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Kind regards,
Jeff

Chraig

Post by Chraig »

Thanks again Steve, I wouldn't have gone if you hadn't replied.

The weather conditions don't look very good but Jeff has put a lot of work into putting on a great exhibition so I am borrowing a car to get there.

Regards,
Craig