Interesting sightings and observations

Unusual sightings of scarce species, unusual behaviour of species, or new species to the Cheshire region can be reported here for all to enjoy.

Interesting sightings and observations

Postby EricFletcher on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 am

Hello all, please feel free to post any interesting facts and sightings on this forum. You can also use it for help with species id.

Feel free to post pics and descriptions!

Has anyone had a nice henbane salad yet?

I sincerely hope not.

Eric
EricFletcher

Re: Interesting sightings and observations

Postby bankst on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:26 pm

Henbane.JPG

Ah, those salad days . . . snapped this handsome specimen of Henbane (Hyoscyamus niger)on my hols a few weeks back, (sadly not in Cheshire). I'm sure it would go nicely with a few chunks of feta and a dash of vinaigrette??? ;)
bankst

Postby bankst on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:13 am

I've seen a different side to Commas (Polygonia c-album) lately . . .

Not that unusual I know, but nice of it to land on the office window at Picow Farm on the 31st October, just long enough for me to snap its underside.
Attachments
Comma Underside Reduced.JPG
Comma Underside Reduced.JPG (33.35 KiB) Viewed 12169 times
bankst

Postby bankst on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 pm

February and it's Dunnock time again. Can't seem to step outside just now without hearing one of the little blighters warbling away. Spring's coming!(He said optimistically)
Attachments
Dunnock.JPG
bankst

Postby ourbirds on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi all,

Just curious as I can find no mention of them on the message boards, is a Marsh tit particularly unusual? I had one visiting our garden feeder earlier today and have dutifully recorded it here this evening. I haven't seen one before but having said that without my recent CMI training I probably would have not looked twice and mistaken it for a coal tit.

Christine
ourbirds

Postby SteveMcBill on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Christine,

Glad to hear you found the Count Me In (CMI) day informative and inspiring.

Marsh Tits can be confused with Willow Tits - see the PDF files below for information on separating them.

Currently, on the rECOrd database there are: 185 records of Marsh Tit and 490 records of Willow Tit.

Steve :)
Attachments
Separating Marsh and Willow Tits - BTO - Broughton Hinsley and Bellamy.pdf
BTO Paper - Separating Marsh and Willow Tits.
(469.66 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
Separating Marsh and Willow Tits - BTO.pdf
BTO document - Separating Marsh and Willow Tits.
(475.06 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
SteveMcBill

Postby ourbirds on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:27 pm

Thanks for your reply, that all sounds pretty tough to make a definite identification. I'm still erring on the side of Marsh tit and have recorded it already as such so hope I'm right! I definitely can't see any white barring on the wings but as this seems like it doesn't necessarily appear I could be wrong. Think I'm going to try and get some footage on the camcorder to get a better zoom in. Will post back if I manage to get it. Wish me luck!

Christine
ourbirds

Postby ourbirds on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:08 pm

Typical! Not a sign of the critter since last posting, I think it's camera shy!

Will keep trying but not holding out too much hope, not even spotted it when the camera hasn't been set up.

Christine
ourbirds

Postby ourbirds on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi all, just put a record on for my mum, and as I was pretty excited about it thought I'd pop it on here too. She saw a red kite today very near her house at Knolton, in between Overton and Ellesmere. Having very recently been right through the middle of red kite country and not seeing anything until Welshpool, the fact that it's this far up country is really exciting. She and my stepdad got a really good look too as they stopped the car to watch it. Will keep you informed if they spot it again.

Happy spotting,

Christine
ourbirds

Postby ourbirds on Wed May 26, 2010 1:37 pm

Hi all, I said I'd update you if we had any more news regarding my mum's Red kite spotting. This morning she has seen it again but this time over her garden and field at the back of her house, unfortunately as yet still only seen one, but who knows maybe he/she is hiding a partner somewhere nearby. We're just very excited to see one this far from it's normal territory, lets hope we'll soon be seeing more.
ourbirds

Natural Disaster?

Postby Harryfarnsbarns on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Also posted on fish forum:

"Walking round the fields this morning I came across a sombre sight. In one of the field ponds I counted no less than 98 fish carcasses - I think they were all carp. Size from approx 14- 16 inches long down to a few inches. They were all trapped beneath the ice. Lack of oxygen, build up of CO2?
Harryfarnsbarns

Return to Species News