Buzzards (Buteo buteo)

Unusual sightings of scarce species, unusual behaviour of species, or new species to the Cheshire region can be reported here for all to enjoy.

Buzzards (Buteo buteo)

Postby Harryfarnsbarns on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Buzzards (Buteo buteo):

I have seen Buzzards quite frequently where I live over the last few years, never any more than three at once. Yesterday was something of a Buzzard bonanza with no less than nine circling above my house using the thermals to great effect and moving slowly south over Cock Wood.

Harryfarnsbarns

Re: Buzzards

Postby bankst on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Never seen it myself, but I'm sure Jeff Clarke once referred to this phenomenon as a 'kettle' of buzzards, which amazingly seems to be corroborated: http://www.sentex.net/~tntcomm/kwfn/numbers.htm
. . . I thought he was making it up!
bankst

Re: Buzzards

Postby hughpulsford on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi,

Yes a "Kettle" is used as the description of any soaring and thermal using group of raptors (and storks, herons and ibis). At this time of year Buzzards are pairing up and defending territories, but some still have last years young in tow or nearby so soaring groups of 5 or 6 are common, and given that there is now pressure on suitable nest sites and territories with most wooded areas already supporting pairs, adjacent groups are now in the air together, both interacting and displaying, hence 9's or 10's or more can be seen together.

Regards.

Hugh
County Bird Recorder: Cheshire and Wirral
CAWOS

hughpulsford

Return to Species News